Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Low Carb yogurt - Slow down loss? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=182887)

PecanPie Thu, May-06-04 16:06

Low Carb yogurt - Slow down loss?

Hi Everyone - just thought I would check and see if anyone else is seeing this. I have been eating the dannon low carb yogurt (no sugar alcohol) 60 calories, 3 carbs - having one a day for the last week. Nothing else has changed (well, except that I stopped eating strawberries with it since that pushed me up three pounds with water weight). There is probably no relationship but just in case I thought I would ask and see if anyone else had noticed anything. I like having the yogurt as a snack in the PM, but I can always find something else!

Thanks!

Fat2Fab Thu, May-06-04 16:59

Hi! I am new here and would like to comment on the yogurt. My mom ate the yogurt everyday for about 2 weeks and she had no loss in this time. Two days after stopping the yogurt everyday she started losing again. Now she just has it as a treat every now and then. Hope this helps.

PecanPie Thu, May-06-04 17:51

Thanks, Fat2Fab! I value everyone's opinions and experience. There is so much to learn and to factor into this WOL! Congrats on your loss so far and welcome - I see this is your first post!

PecanPie

calico32 Thu, May-06-04 18:54

I haven't lost a damn thing (gone up 2 pounds!!!) since eating yogurt ever other day 2 weeks ago. I'm cutting it out to see if I start losing again.

Britgrl Thu, May-06-04 20:02

Guess I'll have to be the minority here =) Ever since I introduced yogurt into my diet my weight loss has been consistent. I believe its mainly because I've subsituted yogurt for my high calorie foods I would otherwise be eating. Yogurt/granola for breakfast instead of my 500 calorie bacon, sausage and egg breakfast. As for snacks, I eat it instead of high calorie food snacks I was eating like cheese and meats. I make sure to keep my carbs around 20 and everything is dandy. Though lowering my calories is really what it was, not the yogurt really. =)

Elsah Thu, May-06-04 20:42

Yogurt never really gave me a problem either once I added it back. I know everyone is different though. I will add that I tend to be on the low- calorie end so maybe that has something to do with it not bothering me.

Jenn

pookiejay Fri, May-07-04 00:12

Sad to say, but I think that it might be causing a problem for me as well. I am not sure though, so I was really glad to see what everyone had to say about it. I think that I did better with eating bacon and eggs in the morning. I have just been eating the yogurt because it is easier with school in the mornings. But maybe it is just because the bacon holds be over for longer? Not sure, but thanks for asking this question!

eightc Fri, May-07-04 05:56

Had to jump in here-My DH and I eat one every morning about 10 am for our morning snack. We are still losing. I also think it just gives me enough for a snack without all the extra calories something else might add.
We love the peach.
But-my neighbor who is doing this with us, hates them, hates the taste, and says they make her stall.
Everyone is different.
Carrie

calico32 Fri, May-07-04 06:11

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is having issues once they added yogurt back in. I'm thinking it's b/c I'm not getting enough calories, since I eat mostly chicken and tuna. I've been eating it for breakfast, b/c I love yogurt, and also b/c it's less messy to eat at my desk in the mornings. Oh well.

sybs Fri, May-07-04 06:16

I've tried them...bought 3 the other day and I really don't lke the taste. The only reason that I wanted to try them was because I've been reading all these studies that say that dairy helps with weight loss. After reading this thread, I'm not so sure. I'll continue to eat some every now and then, but I'm not going to buy a whole bunch like I planned to. DOes anyone know where else I can get some qulity LC calcium/dairy?

Elsah Fri, May-07-04 07:50

I use silk enhanced soymilk. It DOES have 3g of sugars (evaporated cane juice) but I figure if 2 TBL of salad dressing with 2 g of sugar is okay for me.. I'm not going to let 1 extra gram in a cup of soymilk bother me. PLus it's packed full of vitamins!! I added this back after my 2 week induction and have never stalled as a result of it. Other than that the yogurt and almonds are probably my main sources of calcium. You can also get fortified cottage cheese I believe.

For a 1 cup serving:
calories 100
fat 5
sodium 120
potassium 350
total carb 6
dietary fiber 1
sugars 3
protein 7

Vitamin A 20%
calcium 35%
vitamin D 30%
vitamin k 15%
vitamin B6 30%
vitamin B12 50%
magnesium 10%
vitamin C 35%
iron 6%
vitamin E 20%
riboflavin 30%
folate 20%
phosphorus 10%
zinc 10%

scorpio381 Fri, May-07-04 13:00

It hasn't affected me adversely either. I've been eating the Blue Bunny Carb Freedom - 6 oz. container - 5 grms carbs - 90 calories - every morning for about a month. I add walnuts to it. This morning I was down a pound from last Friday.

Like Brtgirl, I think in my case it was a matter of cutting back on the higher caloric breakfasts that I had been having prior to the yogurt. I'm one of those who has to watch my calorie intake. :-(

PecanPie Fri, May-07-04 13:10

Thanks Everyone - I will be testing this next week. I already cut back on the calories and liked having the yogurt but I added strawberries and yogurt at the same time. I had a gain of 3 pounds pretty fast (that was the only change) so dropped the strawberries, lost two pounds, then in the last week with just the yogurt I gained three pounds. I know it will come off as it is likely just water, but since I had already lowered my calories and was seeing a nice loss each week I am thinking it could be the yogurt since it was not in addition to, but in place of so I did not increase calories to add it in.

Will let you know if anything emerges!
PecanPie