Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Apples? Berries? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=182158)

toni marie Mon, May-03-04 10:49

Apples? Berries?

I enjoy apples a lot. But from the AFL book I think one large apple has around 20 carbs. So, I bought a bag of small apples and am eating half of one a day. Is this OK to end my craving for fruit?

MaryToU Mon, May-03-04 10:54

Unless you are on premaintance or maintance, then apples are not good for you. They carry a lot of carbs. Berries on the other hand are fine. I really think you would be better off spending those carbs else where than that half apple a day.

toni marie Mon, May-03-04 10:57

Ok thanks. I have been buying berries more to snack on because of the whole apple thing. Thanks again.

Hilary M Mon, May-03-04 11:17

I think half a small apple a day is fine in OWL. I eat them occasionally, along with berries and peaches.

Justjen72 Mon, May-03-04 11:24

Plums are also low in carbs. I think one medium plum only has 3 carbs. I eat plums and berries in maitence. :)

mrschmelz Mon, May-03-04 11:24

It all depends on how many carbs you are allowing yourself during OWL. If you have room in your daily carb allowance AFTER getting your required daily servings of veggies, then go for the apple!

Fridaylove Mon, May-03-04 11:29

I'd agree....that half of the apple isn't bad. There are other fruits that are lower on the glycemic index with lower carbs.

I didn't know about plums....I may have to check those out!!!

Kaillean Mon, May-03-04 11:54

I rarely eat apples, but have eaten berries daily in my protein shakes since about week 3-4. It's much easier to keep your carbs down and still satisfy your fruit cravings with berries. Melon is a good choice, too.

There is a good article on the different fruits and their carb counts/glycemic index on the Atkins site. Do a search for "moving beyond berries".

K.

toni marie Mon, May-03-04 12:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaillean
There is a good article on the different fruits and their carb counts/glycemic index on the Atkins site. Do a search for "moving beyond berries".

K.

Thank you so much! I will definitely try the plums, I love them as well and they seem to be better since I am doing OWL.

toni marie Mon, May-03-04 12:08

http://www.jdhodges.com/nutritional...ion/food-09279/

Just to end my curiosity... from the amount of carbs listed here... what can be "subtracted" to get the net carbs? Sorry, I am fairly new with the fruit eating LOL.

blue4lemon Mon, May-03-04 12:56

I would say its ok once in a while, but make sure to eat some cheese with them or slice it and dip them in peanut butter to reduce the effect the apple will have on your blood sugar and insulin.

niudog Mon, May-03-04 12:58

I agree with blue4lemon. I always eat my 1/2 apple with peanut butter.

Nancy LC Mon, May-03-04 13:15

Here's my philosophy... I have a mini-orchard and things are gonna get ripe soon. I'm going to continue to count calories and eat low carb except for fruit, which I'll use with snacks including protein or fat, to slow down the release of the glucose. We'll see how it goes. If I find myself getting much more hungry than normal, I'll know its the fruit causing it.

So far, I'm holding the line on the calories and my weight is increasing, but I think that's just the glycogen store getting replenished, and it involves a lot of water. So I'm trying not to panic. :p

Kathy54 Mon, May-03-04 13:55

Go ahead eat that 1/2 apple!!
I've been doing that since late OWL, I do make sure I have a pc. of cheddar or a bit of Peanut butter with it.

3 Fruit a day has been my routine since pre maint. However not the whole thing, 1/2 apple 1/2 navel 1/2 gratefruit ect.

Kathy

toni marie Mon, May-03-04 13:58

Does anyone know coconut is low in carbs? The unsweetened of course. I cannot find coconut (bagged) unless it's sweetened.