Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Ketostix (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=182)

tamarian Mon, Nov-20-00 17:36

Just curious, how many of us use Ketostix to monitor their keton level and how frequently. Or do you go without them based on your carb level calculation?

I use occasionally, no more than once a week, but when I first started I used them daily.

Wa'il

doreen T Mon, Nov-20-00 18:04

re: ketostix

I used 'em when I first started back in July. Never got above trace, but since I was losing weight steadily (but slow) I just gave up and went by the scales and how my clothes fit. Since I'm trying Stillman's stallbuster at the present time, I thought it might be useful to keep track again but in spite of 0 carb intake, I was still only measuring trace. Note - I only check once a day, after supper.

Clue: the ketostix had been opened 6 months ago, sitting on a shelf in my bathroom. Cure: buy fresh ketostix. What do you know?? I'm testing moderate, which is where I should be at this minimal carb level. Need to push the water a bit more though to keep 'em flushed out.

I think that during Induction, or very low-carb states such as a fast or stallbuster, testing for ketones is a useful indicator that you're on track. And some people need the reinforcement of seeing the ketone production, helps keep the motivation strong.

During OWL though, I'm not convinced it's necessary, as long as you're losing at a steady rate. Then, if a stall strikes, it's useful to measure just to see where some dietary or other change is in order.

Just my opinion, I know some are adamant that you check religiously throughout the weight loss period.

Doreen :)

r.mines Mon, Nov-20-00 22:46

Yah, I'm with both of you on that one. Used them daily when I first started, now maybe a couple of times a week just to make sure I'm still on track. I like to have them on hand, especially after I've eaten (or think I may have eaten) something particularly carby.

For example, once I went to a Chinese vegetarian restaurant where all the 'meat' was variously prepared wheat gluten. (I kinda 'had' to go, it was a friend's birthday, I don't see her often, and she chose the restaurant). I stayed away from the rice, noodles, and sweet sauces and just ate gluten and veggies. I had no way of knowing if the gluten was carby, so it was kind of nice to check with the ketostix later. (For anyone who's interested, gluten meat substitutes seem to be OK - much to my surprise! Gave me a tummyache, though!)

WendyM Fri, Dec-01-00 13:59

When I first started Atkins I used the stixs every day. But once I got to a comfortable carb level I stopped using them.

I only use them now if I am unsure about something I have eaten or a new recipe I am trying. Needless to say, they usually expire long before I use them up.

Wendy.

doreen T Fri, Dec-01-00 15:22

Quote:
Originally posted by WendyM
.....Needless to say, they usually expire long before I use them up.
Wendy.

hi Wendy,

You've hit on a very important point. I've read so many times people concerned over their ketostix show no colour change in spite of strict adherence to lowcarbing and continued steady weight loss.

(1) Ketostix have a shelf life and the expiry date is clearly marked on the container. Note though, that this is for the UNOPENED package. Ketostix should be used within 6 months of opening; discard after that time. It helps to label the container with the date you opened it.

(2) The chemical in the little pad will react to moisture in the air. Make sure you keep the container tightly closed after each use, and make sure your hands are dry ;) when you're digging one out.

Doreen