Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Success Stories (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   From 2 insulin shots to NONE! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=181586)

simplydawn Thu, Apr-29-04 21:26

From 2 insulin shots to NONE!

I have not arrived at my goal weight YET, but I did want to take a minute or two and share my success I have had with low carbing so far. I hope that my sharing will provide some inspiration and encouragement to someone just starting or struggling.

In January of this year, I went to the Dr..and the blood work was awful...my cholesterol levels were skyrocketing as were my blood glucose levels. The Dr told me frankly that if I didnt have a heart attack, then my kidneys were going to shut down..either one or the other was going to happen. It wasnt a pretty picture, and it pretty well scared the 'snot' right out of me. Just turning 39, I had blood work of a 70 yr old!

So, I decided to low carb. After weeks of reading, devouring everything I could online and in print... I began cutting back even while reading..eliminating bread from my diet the week before I officially began to l/c.

By March 22 2004, the Doctor took me off of insulin injections, of which I had been taking 2 doses daily. I have now lost 22 lbs since the beginning of February.

I just encourage those that have health issues, to persevere..keep plugging along, doing the things that you need to do... don't get discouraged if the weight isnt coming off, because it WILL, sometimes it just takes time for your body to begin to heal and the benefits are definitely worth it. If you read over my journal, you will see I had bad days, feel sorry for myself days, and very cheery days.. its all part of the journey... and I am so glad I decided to travel this path of low carbing because I am feeling so much better and its beginning to show on the outside as well as the internal changes such as my blood work results which showed all the cholesterols under where they are supposed to be.. a dramatic change, and my hemoglobin A1c from a 12.8 to a 7.8 in only 2 months!

Hang tight...you CAN do it!

cartmanis Fri, Apr-30-04 05:12

That's great, glad you were able to change your life so dramatically :)

simplydawn Fri, Apr-30-04 07:15

simplydawn Sat, May-01-04 15:13

Thought I would copy my test results over here, as part of my 'success' tracking :)

Test.........................Jan 9, 2004....................3/22/04

Triglycerides....................343...............................95
Cholesterol Total..............306...............................170
HDL Cholest.....................45.................................52
LDL Cholest......................192...............................99
Chol/HdlC Ratio.................6.8................................3.3

Hemoglobin A1c.................12.8.............................7.8

adkpam Sun, May-02-04 14:03

This is fantastic! It is great to know you have made such a positive step for yourself.

Diabetes runs in my family, but I no longer worry about it!

AFwife Sun, May-02-04 14:07

Congratulations on become healthier.

:cheer:

Sweet_Pea Thu, May-06-04 15:02

Wow!! I could have written the first part of your post. I too, went to the doctor 3 weeks ago and found out that my blood levels were out of this world, including my blood sugar.

I can't wait to go back in 3 months to see what they're going to be. If they're coming down, it means no cholesterol lowering drugs for me! :)

Anyway, congratulations on such a big improvement!!

Sweet Pea

Kristine Sat, May-08-04 12:51

Congratulations!! Getting off insulin is a huge success, and your A1C is pretty darn good, too! I bet the next one will be normal or close to it. :thup:

Vanity3 Sat, May-08-04 12:54

Wow, can I email your story to my mom. She is diabetic and I just talked her into starting the SBD. I think this will encourage her.

simplydawn Wed, Jun-02-04 08:32

Only Metformin

Updating:

Off of one more diabetic medication!! YES!!! WHOOHOO.... By experiement last week, I didnt take Actos..but kept taking the metformin, and my bg's were awesome.. for the most part lower than they had been avg'ing in the mornings... So.. now I am only taking one pill for diabetes at this time.. :)

I sent personal replies to the above messages.. and want to thank everyone for stopping by with encouragement and comments..

YOU CAN DO IT!

waterangel Fri, Jun-25-04 10:04

That is so awesome!

Hey Dawn,

I definitely going to keep up with your posts. I, too, am diabetic and taking only metformin. I am struggling to eat certain foods, I just received customized vitamins for me from "Ideal Health". I also have RA and osteoporosis. They are going to add Serotonin-plus to my monthly order. I'm struggling to exercise, some days I can do 30 min, other days I can do 90 min. On the days I can do less, I try to rest but I can't because I'm a little hyper. I'm glad for you that you continue to eat healthy.

Thanks.
Cindy Q

venters Thu, Jul-08-04 08:12

Just a little information

Dawn,
I just went to the Dr. and they thought I might be diabetic. Fasting sugar level was just a little high 112 but after drinking the gloucose (orange junk) it was tested again and was 329. I have an appointment with an endo. July 16th. Also have lots of sign of POCS. I guess what I need to know from you is what exactly have you been doing to have such great numbers on your test results that quick. And--is it possible I do not have diabetes. My mom had a kidney disease as a child and last year found out she needed dialysis. I was hoping to donate my kidney to her but if found to have diabetes they will not let me. Just thought I could get information from a regular person. I also want to make the changes as you have done but in my case I think I have caught it just in time. About 1-1/2 years ago everything was supposedly normal and now sugar and cholesteral are high. I have only gained 12 pounds since the last visit. I am hoping with what weight I have lost it will bring a better reading. I hope to hear from you soon.