Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Calf Cramps while dancing (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=181262)

tasche Wed, Apr-28-04 12:15

Calf Cramps while dancing

Ok in the last few weeks I've started to get these killer leg cramps while dancing ( ballroom ) normally I can dance for about an hour on my 3" heels with NO problem so my suspisions is that its not to do with the dancing directly

What is weird is the nature of the cramping its not in the belly of the muscle but along the outside of each calf and it gets really tight and really painful

I'm thinking its a vitamin problem. I have been very bad on atkins lately so that might be it too having a weird mix of carb/lowcarb

donchka Wed, Apr-28-04 13:10

A lot of us have had this problem. They say it is a loss of the minerals potassium, magnesium and calcium. Atkins recommends salting your food and also taking a mineral supplement that includes calcium, magnesium and potassium. That helped me out pretty quickly. HTH

tasche Wed, Apr-28-04 16:06

I hate salt but I'll try to add some in I took potassium this mornign and will add the others tomorrow. i ahve no problems during normal activities but only during dancing and only recently after being on the plan since last june though last 6 months have been pretty much at maintance levels but am now back to OWL. Funny but I'm one of those ppl who can only seem to diet in wamr weather. Also methinks I was so satifised with the changes in my body I wasn't motivated any more but now I'm used to being this size I'm ready to go down again :D

lilli Wed, Apr-28-04 16:21

Yeah, it does sound like an electrolyte problem. I was having that trouble a couple years ago and it was because of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.

tcastro Wed, Apr-28-04 16:49

It sounds like a lot of people have this problem.

I haven't had it, but I take a calcium and a potassium supplement.

Potassium is the vitamin that controls muscles. Atkins is generally low on potassium, especially during induction. Also, potassium is 'washed away' when you drink a lot of water and most of us drink A LOT of water.

dianne_LC Wed, Apr-28-04 18:55

cramps

I had this same problem, but now I take a 2:1 calcium:magnesium, which also has potassium. I haven't had the cramps since!! :) :)

picaboo Wed, Apr-28-04 19:33

..........Its in the book the explantion about it....lazy to look at it right now...but if you have it...look at it !!!.....

shoer Wed, Apr-28-04 21:37

I was getting severe leg and foot cramps every night. Talk about raise you right out of bed! Since beginning Atkins I've been taking a one-a-day type vitamin but last week started adding a potassium supplement. Since then I've only had two leg cramps, and they were much milder. Got the potassium at Wal-Mart--seems like it was $3 or $4 and well worth it!

Itty Thu, Apr-29-04 07:15

Hi

I drank mineral water (not Perrier) when I had muscle cramps during Induction, and that took the cramps away!!!

Try it!

M

tasche Fri, Apr-30-04 12:16

Mineral waters an intresting idea. I wish I could look my book up but someone has "borrowed" and still hasn't given back ( cheapskates)