Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   I had to laugh..... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=181247)

Elsah Wed, Apr-28-04 10:29

I had to laugh.....

I was looking through some old magazines last night looking for recipes to convert to low carb. ((I love to cook and I collect cookbook and cooking magazines like you wouldn't believe)) Anyways, I came across an article that just cracked me up.

March 2003 cooking light magazine article
(this is part of an article that was reviewing popular diets)

Low-Carb/High Protein Diets

High protein dieters often see the needle on the scale go down fairly quickly. Why? Water. "when you take carbs out of the diet, you lose water weight right away," Explains Katherine Tallmage, MA, RD, a weight-loss consultant and AmericanDietetic Assoc. spokesperson in Washington, DC and author of Diet simple. "I've heard reports of 5 to 10 pounds in a week. IF you lose 5 pounds in a week most of it has to be water, and losing that much water isn't safe." People on high protein diets lose more water initially because protein requires more water to be metabolized. (thats why sticking to a strict high protein diet for a long time can cause kidney problems.) The water weight comes right back when you start eating carboydrates again. No long term independant studies have been done to test the efficacy of high-protein diets (although 2 lg studies are now underway) "In the meantime, I can't recommend the Atkins diet because it's unhealthy for other reasons," says Bonnie Liebman, MS, director of nutrition at the Center for Science in the Public Interest. "it's high in red meat and saturated fat and low in nutrient-dense fruits and vegetables." In fact, many of the plans including Atkins plan-declare such healthy foods such as potatoes, corn and many fruits totally off limits.

The verdict: Focusing on protein can help cut down on refined carbohydrates like pasta, bread, and ordinary sugar-all foods many people find hard to resist. But some high-protein plans don't distinguish adequately between refined bagel-type carbs and nutritious broccoli type carbs. If you limit fruits and vegetables, you're not getting the full complement of the nutrients and fiber your body needs.

Just struck me as funny, I mean the best arguements against atkins they could manage was that you are losing water weight and that we are giving up healthy foods like potatoes and corn??? LOL

LadyBelle Wed, Apr-28-04 10:39

Quote:
(thats why sticking to a strict high protein diet for a long time can cause kidney problems.) The water weight comes right back when you start eating carboydrates again. No long term independant studies have been done to test the efficacy of high-protein diets (although 2 lg studies are now underway)

Gee it's been around since the 70's. So 30 years of people following the plan must not be long term enough.... Low fat made it big in what, the 80's? ;)

Quote:
In fact, many of the plans including Atkins plan-declare such healthy foods such as potatoes, corn and many fruits totally off limits.

I've been seeing ads from the potato companies about the health benifits of potatos. Some of them just look depserate. Many fruits are off limits, like what? I know some tropical fruits that are high GI are eaten in moderation later in plan, but I've never seen any listed as "Never touch again."

Quote:
The verdict: Focusing on protein can help cut down on refined carbohydrates like pasta, bread, and ordinary sugar-all foods many people find hard to resist. But some high-protein plans don't distinguish adequately between refined bagel-type carbs and nutritious broccoli type carbs. If you limit fruits and vegetables, you're not getting the full complement of the nutrients and fiber your body needs.

Umm every low carb plan I've seen states your carbs should come from nutrient packed sources such as broccoli and bagles and other refined flours should be avoided. What high protien (atkins is high fat anyway) but what plan are they quoting? It sounds more like thier main source of information comes from media and hersey, not actual research on thier part.

Kristine Wed, Apr-28-04 10:48

>>"But some high-protein plans don't distinguish adequately between refined bagel-type carbs and nutritious broccoli type carbs. "

Such as...? I've heard of a lot of LC plans, but none that fail to discuss refined grains versus vegetables.

CSPI - Center for Science in Pharmaceuticals Interest. :rolleyes:
- Center for Scientifically Poor Information ;)

Jen7416 Wed, Apr-28-04 11:18

WOW, to think I was carrying around 85 pounds of water!!! It's amazing I didn't make a sloshing noise when I walked. Give me a freaking break, they'll try anything to sell that bread and potatoes.

adkpam Wed, Apr-28-04 11:21

If my 40 pounds lost was just water, I'm glad it's gone!

MaryToU Wed, Apr-28-04 11:41

This is why we all have to pee so much, all that extra water storing in our bodies. 60 pounds of water, no wonders I looked so big!

Iowagirl Wed, Apr-28-04 15:10

They must not know about this...
http://www.lileks.com/institute/dayalets/5.html

SusanKH Wed, Apr-28-04 15:37

Who cares whether it's water, fat, or mud? Just as long as it's gone...

LucyLucy Wed, Apr-28-04 15:52

Wow, I'm gonna lose 100lbs of WATER? Boy, better watch out Seattle, the floods are-a-coming! Makes me thirsty, think I'll go get me some kidney-killin water!

LL :)

LilaCotton Wed, Apr-28-04 15:56

Well, maybe every 'obese' person out there should go on low-carb so they can lose the hundreds of pounds of water they're carrying! :D

Britgrl Wed, Apr-28-04 19:37

Haha you guys are hilarious, giving me a good laugh (and break from studying for a final) I feel sorry for the poor lil soul that wrote this article...

146pounds Wed, Apr-28-04 21:44

How absurd is that. Notice how her titles didn't say MD or DR. Whatever!