Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Bread & Baked Goods (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Orange Soured Cream Cakes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=179557)

Demi Tue, Apr-20-04 04:27

Orange Soured Cream Cakes

This is a low carb adaptation of the original Gary Rhodes recipe from the article ‘Gary’s Tropical Twist’ in the May 2004 edition of the UK’s Good Food magazine.

Orange Soured Cream Cakes

Makes 12 cakes
ecc 2.25g carbs per cake

5 oz /140g softened butter
6 tbsp Splenda
4 large eggs
Finely grated zest of a large orange
1 tsp orange extract
4 fl oz /142 ml soured cream
6 oz /175g ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder

Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas 4, and then lightly butter a 12-hole muffin pan.

Cream the butter and the Splenda. Add the eggs one at a time, beating each one in well, then mix in the orange zest, orange extract, baking powder and soured cream, before beating in the ground almonds.

Divide the mixture between the holes in the muffin pan, and then bake for 20-25 minutes, or until firm to the touch.

Just an idea: I also mixed some of the juice from the orange with some cream cheese and Splenda to make a topping for the cakes :thup:

Maamel Tue, Apr-20-04 04:50

Wow that looks really delicious!!! Will try them this weekend. Cheers!!

Demi Tue, Apr-20-04 10:42

I've put a pic of the cakes in the Gallery: http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/...&cat=504&page=1

shama Tue, Apr-20-04 11:26

What is the soured cream, is it just sour cream, or is it a liquid?
I know it is a stupid question, but I still had to ask! HeHee!

tabookitty Tue, Apr-20-04 11:39

I was wondering the same thing.

4beans4me Tue, Apr-20-04 13:29

I was going to ask the same thing.. is sour cream the same as soured cream?

Demi Tue, Apr-20-04 15:22

Yes, it's the same thing - obviously yet another one of those UK/US language differences :)

dasanipure Tue, Apr-20-04 16:31

my oh my these look to amazing to be true - reminds me of an orange sour cream donut - does anyone know what I'm talking about? has anyone else tried making these with pecan meal instead of almond meal? that's all i have right now, but i just can't wait...

peapod Wed, Apr-21-04 11:31

demi.. youre the queen of this type of recipe!

thanks

brobin Wed, Apr-21-04 19:31

orange sour cream donut....

Homer happy....

brobin

Karen D. Wed, Apr-21-04 20:21

I'm wondering if we're still having a misunderstanding about the sour cream vs soured cream question. The reason I say that is because Demi's recipe calls for 4 fluid ounces of soured cream. In North America, we wouldn't measure sour cream as a liquid; it comes in a semi-solid form. Some recipes call for cream that you make sour by adding a tablespoon or so of vinegar, and I'm wondering whether that's what the recipe means. Would you clarify that for us, please, Demi. Thanks.

Karen D.

Demi Thu, Apr-22-04 01:22

Karen,

Although soured (sour) cream does indeed come in a semi-solid form, we measure it in fluid ounces in the UK - however, for those of you in the US, it works out to about half a cup.

Re this issue about whether you need to do something to the cream to sour it - no, you don't need to add anything to it, you should be able to buy it already soured (well at least you can in the UK! :) )

Hope these explanations help :)

Demi Wed, Apr-28-04 06:35

Just a thought - if you find that the cakes are sticking to the tin when you remove them, then either put circles of grease proofed paper in the bottom of the holes before adding the mixture prior to cooking, or perhaps use muffin/cake cases.

Maamel Wed, Apr-28-04 06:47

Thanks Demi, I'll use the muffin cups that I have (loads left over from pre lc days!)

brobin Sat, May-01-04 20:50

Just wanted to thank you for the recipe! These were great. I tried some with the glaze, but I actually prefer them without. One weakness I still have is for my mother's recipe for orange muffins. There are not the same, but they are good enough to make me a very happy guy. :)

brobin