Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   cherry tomatoes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=179082)

Britgrl Sat, Apr-17-04 15:17

cherry tomatoes

Hey everyone,
I'm trying to add a little more variety to my diet being at induction level carbs for over two months. I've been adding more of a variety of veggies to my menu in hopes of also keeping my calories down. I've always loved tomatoes in my salads but havent been eating them as I've been very strict on my carbs. Lately, I've added them back in and just wanted to add that I LOVE cherry tomtatoes. I looked in FITDAY and I could only find the nutrition info. for regular tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes taste so much sweeter than regular tomatoes and I'm wondering if they are alot more in carbs? Does anyone have access to the nutrition info. for cherry tomatoes. Thanks in advance!
Briitany

Elsah Sat, Apr-17-04 15:28

Type in tomatoes, raw and cherry tomatoes are under the size listings.

Jenn

MyJourney Sat, Apr-17-04 15:28

Fitday has cherry tomatoes.

Click on tomatoes raw and then move the other bar down to cherry. It will give you the option of 1 cherry or 1 cup of cherry tomatoes.

I love cherry tomatoes too! I love the grape tomatoes even more! I slice them in half and mix them in my salad so all the juices mix in and they are so tiny and sweet! mmmmm!

I also love tomatoes with mayo and salt and sometimes some cheese but for that I like the beefsteak tomatoes.

Britgrl Sat, Apr-17-04 19:31

Opps, I'm sorry you guys. (blonde moment) I see them now, thanks so much.
MyJourney, I agree! They are so sweet and its almost like I'm eating fruit. =) yumm!

flwrfrog Sat, Apr-17-04 21:19

Actually, tomatoes are fruit. ;)
And I love them so much I have about 10 plants growing in my little garden. I'll soon have so many I'll be sick of them! LOL

=)
Cori

Karen___L Sat, Apr-17-04 22:42

I don't think I could ever be sick of homegrown tomatoes. And I like the grape tomatoes also.

judyr Sat, Apr-17-04 23:05

The grape tomatoes are sweeter. Does anyone know if their carb count is higher? I have been counting them as cherry tomatoes but don't know if I'm undercounting carbs. I feel like they should be higher.

LilaCotton Sat, Apr-17-04 23:14

Chances are, if it's sweeter it has more carbs. I still count grape tomatoes as cherry tomatoes, though, because I rarely ever eat more than 4 or 5 in a salad. Just that few has more flavor than one entire store-bought, chemically-grown, red, round piece of cardboard they try to pass off as a tomato. (And yes, grape tomatoes have at least 5 times the flavor of cherry tomatoes. ;))

I've always wondered just exactly what the nutrient content of organically-grown heirloom varieties would be compared to the garbage they sell in stores. The vitamin count should probably be at least double, and my guess is there would be a few more carbs in most of it because of extra sweetness.

madpiano Sun, Apr-18-04 05:05

How big is an american cherry tomatoe ?

I enter them in fitday, but I was never sure if they are the same size as they are over here. I mean even in the UK size can vary loads. Sometimes they are the size of red radish, sometimes no bigger than cherries....

MyJourney Sun, Apr-18-04 05:44

THe size of cherry tomatoes vary. I find that 2 grapes = 1 cherry on average (though sometimes I have seen the huge cherry tomatoes on the vine)

madpiano Sun, Apr-18-04 07:05

I think we may have more grape tomatoes here, than cherries....
The big ones on the Vine are just called Vine tomatoes...They are yummy.

I am hoping to be able to plant some tomatoes in my garden this year. They are just so much better than these tasteless canary island things.