Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   How much fat are you eating? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=178500)

Happygem Wed, Apr-14-04 07:45

How much fat are you eating?

Been plugging my meals into fitday and find out that I eat almost 50% fat. Is that too much? What's the ratio supposed to be for carbs/cal/fat?
Thanks guys

filmlass23 Wed, Apr-14-04 07:53

I think we're supposed to have 70% of our calorie intake come from fat!

black57 Wed, Apr-14-04 07:56

Your fat intake is actually kinda low. Many people fear the amount of fat there is in this diet and it takes them awhile to work up to the 70% that thye should have. I don't count my fat because I have always enjoyed my fatty foods. When you are eating a diet that has been greatly reduced in carbohydrates, fats are much safer and necessary to consume.

As I said, my diet is generous in fats and my cholesterol and triglycerides are exemplary. :)

Take Care,
Black57

Rosie Real Wed, Apr-14-04 07:57

I try to average 65-70% also. I do better towards the higher end of that, and even better if I go to 75%. Not always easy so most days it's around 67. :)

Dawna Wed, Apr-14-04 10:44

I've been wondering.....that 70% fat ratio, is that for OWL or for Induction? The book says we are to reduce fat and protein as we increase carbs from OWL phase on.
'

adkpam Wed, Apr-14-04 10:53

I still eat around 70% (that's 128 grams a day average! I lost weight eating 128 grams of FAT a DAY!!!)

I didn't lower my fat much, but then I wasn't that interested in adding more carbs, since I started out 40-60 and lost weight on it. Now I'll have the occasional whole grain slice of bread, or more fruit, and probably have less fat that day.

Don't be afraid of fat!

Nancy LC Wed, Apr-14-04 12:01

Atkins doesn't have a recommend amount of fat that I'm aware of. I was eating 60-70% but lately I'm getting down to the 50% range. Just realize that fat is not evil and go from there.

calico32 Wed, Apr-14-04 12:05

I aim for 65-70% fat each day. My loss slows when my fat drops lower than 65%. Higher fat % ups my calories too, and that's another area I have issues keeping in the 1500 range.

Spinr24 Wed, Apr-14-04 12:07

I too recently starting counting my calories. I have been going by 30% though for fat calories. For my weight calories consumption should be around 1885 total calories x .30 for 566 fat calories. I always thought this was right???? :help:

Nancy LC Wed, Apr-14-04 12:16

Well, if you do the Zone diet that's right. But Atkins doesn't restrict fat.

Hilary M Wed, Apr-14-04 13:20

I aim for 70-80% of my calories to come from fat, 5% from carbs, and the rest from protein. I'm in OWL. I don't always hit 70%, as I recently started watching my calories as well, but I try to get to 70 if I can. 75% is better.

DianaO Wed, Apr-14-04 13:21

I go for 70-80% I lose well there

Dawna Wed, Apr-14-04 15:20

Oh my, I guess I need to start seriously rethinking what I'm doing. I've been having trouble with keeping protein up so I'm drinking one whey protein shake a day, sometimes two. Fat holds steady at 55% to 60% on average. I'm building a lot of muscle from working out and focused on protein. Guess I've been neglecting my fat.

I appreciate this thread and the clarifications. You guys are great. :D

Happygem Thu, Apr-15-04 08:53

eating fat

Yes I agree you guys are so awesome. This is like my fourth attempt at this WOE and its been nearly two months with no cheats (that never happens) I have lost only three pounds so far and I was wondering what I was doing wrong. Most of my fat comes from cream and peanut butter, is that bad? My calorie intake is pretty low too like 900 and I keep the carbs between 35 and 40. I start gaining if I increase it. I workout 5 days a week for an hour. So what should I do guys to lose some weight (seriously this time!) ? I could really use the tips thanks a lot!

DianaO Thu, Apr-15-04 08:57

I think that when you add more fats to each meal it helps break that sweet or Cheat craving..

Happygem- you need more calories or your metabolism is going to think its being starved and it will slow down. Add more fats, Butter, olive oil, mayo things like that. Slap it all over your foods!