Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Diet Soda - Carbs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=178345)

adukart Tue, Apr-13-04 10:31

Diet Soda - Carbs

Does anyone read Woman's World magazine? I bought it yesterday and when reading the article about Atkins it stated that some diet soda has carbs. When trying to look it up on fitday I didn't find it. Does anyone know how many carbs are in diet Coke or Diet Hansens or Diet Rite? Does anyone know where this information could be found?

Nancy LC Tue, Apr-13-04 10:37

Try looking at the label on the can. :D I think it's probably close to zero carbs because it has 0 calories.

adukart Tue, Apr-13-04 10:46

I never really thought about it that way, if the calories are that low (0) then the carb count has to be low. I wonder where WW got their information from.

** For others reading this that don't know, if there is less than 1 carb per serving of anything (I believe in the US only) they can print 0 carbs on the label, that is why looking at the calories and calculating from there would make more sense.

myagenda Tue, Apr-13-04 10:46

I know that Diet Hansens and Diet Rite has no carbs, I don't know about Diet Coke or other diet products.

skinnbones Tue, Apr-13-04 11:14

In the Atkins book doesn't it state that we are to count a serving of Splenda as one carb? My book is at home or I would look for that comment.

Nancy LC Tue, Apr-13-04 11:14

Diet Coke has 0 or 1 calorie per eight ounces, same with diet pepsi.

Maybe its the ones with real fruit juices? I know there's some "sugar free" juices you can buy, but they're definitely aren't low carb. They just have added Splenda instead of sugar or fructose.

adukart Tue, Apr-13-04 12:32

Liquid Splenda has no fillers, therefore no carbs. Liquid Splenda is used in such things as Davinci Syrups, and Diet Rite.

cc48510 Tue, Apr-13-04 14:12

Calories are rounded to the nearest multiple of 5, except that any product having <5 Calories per serving can be labelled as 0 Calories. That said, Diet Soda according to the USDA DB has 0.3g Carbs per Can. That would be just over 1 Calorie, which is of course rounded down to 0. But, you have to remember that Carbohydrates are calculated by difference in the US, unlike overseas where they are directly calaculated. This means that They take the total weight and subtract moisture (water,) lipids (fat,) animo acids (protein,) ethanol (grain alcohol,) and ash (vitamin and mineral matter.) Whatever's left is considered a Carbohydrate.

Usually, most or all of the remainder is Carbohydrates. But, in some cases, especially where lots of articial ingredients, polyols, or glycerine are used, some of the remaining weight is NOT Carbs. I would guess this might be the case with Diet Cola [it has lots of artificial ingredients,] or it may just be the Caramel Color contributing the fraction of a gram of Carbs.

page40 Tue, Apr-13-04 14:29

how much splenda is used in a soda, i never drink it because i don't know how to count the splenda used in it hehehehehe

Hilary M Tue, Apr-13-04 15:02

I wouldn't worry about counting the Splenda in a drink. Like another poster said, it is liquid Splenda, which doesn't contain carbs like granulated Splenda does.