Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Are there any vitamins I need to take while on induction? r/o please (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=178163)

Daisy111 Mon, Apr-12-04 08:14

Are there any vitamins I need to take while on induction? r/o please

I have heard some people say they lose there hair on low carb. Is this true, I do not want to lose any hair lol. Anyways is there any Vitamins that I need to be taking while on induction or will a multivitamin do? thanks :D

Petrina31 Mon, Apr-12-04 08:38

Don't think I've ever heard anything about Atkins WOE causing hair loss....

But in regards to your question, there is a whole chapter on supplements/vitamins in DANDR (Dr Atkins Diet Revolution). Read it, love it, live it.

MikieGirl Mon, Apr-12-04 08:54

I've personally never heard anything about hair loss. If anything, I feel much more healthy and for sure my face is a lot clearer which is a tremendous added benefit. A multi-vitamin is just perfect for me.

Elsah Mon, Apr-12-04 08:57

I lost a LOT of hair but it's growing back fine now. I would say just take a good multi-vitamin.

Jenn

3xmommy Mon, Apr-12-04 09:39

I ordered Virgin coconut oil.. AFWIFE said that she really likes it and I have read that it does help in weight loss and has a lot of health benefits. I like the taste of coconut too..
I'll let you know how it turns out...I ordered at www.tropicaltraditions.com

AFwife Mon, Apr-12-04 09:49

YUP, I love my coconut oil. I also take ONE A DAY for Women and Flaxseed oil capsules. Oh and of course, Oil Of Oregano.

Good luck,

bevbme Mon, Apr-12-04 09:49

Hair loss is possible anytime you lose a lot of weight quickly no matter what the diet. It is a temporary thing but a possibility.
I think the supplement they talk about is biotin.
Look on the nutrition supplement sub-forum or search for hair loss.

red1cutie Mon, Apr-12-04 09:59

I have lost lots of hair and many others can attest to that. Hair loss happens on all diets though, not just Atkins and not everyone suffers from it. I started supplementing with Biotin 3-500mcg).
Quote:
is there any Vitamins that I need to be taking while on induction or will a multivitamin do?

You need:
multivitamin preferable w/out iron
calcium/magnesium supplement (1000mg per day is what I take-3 doses)
potassium ( I take 4-100mg per day)
Chromium GTF (I take 3-200mcg)

Additional supplements that some not all people take:
Co Enzyme Q10 (100mg)
L Carnitine (2-3 500mg)
B Complex
Vitamin C (1000mg)
Vitamin E
Folic Acid (I think it's important, they put it in flour but now we dont eat flour)
CLA
Flax seed oil ( 3 caps)

Psyllium caps or the actual husks for constipation.

I take multivitamins, potassium, calcium, chromium, Co Enzyme, sometimes L Carnitine, folic acid, B complex, Vit C, Vit E, Folic Acid and Biotin. Also, flaxseed oil and psyllium husks.

In the book Dr A talks about recommended vitamins/supplements.

red

myagenda Mon, Apr-12-04 10:46

I think the hair loss is different for different people. Some lose some don't I haven't noticed a difference in my hair either way. I have a friend who said her hair felt thicker and grew faster when she started Atkins. As for vitamins I think a multi vitamin is good. I also take coq10, acidophilus, alpha lipoic acid and a b complex vitamin. You should do your own research and decide what you think will work best for you. Dr A has a written about this in most if not all of his books.