Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Question about being in Ketosis? PLEASE HELP ME!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=177660)

esboatman Thu, Apr-08-04 23:43

Question about being in Ketosis? PLEASE HELP ME!!

I have been on the Atkins diet for around 20 days, I have been in the highest state of Ketosis for over 2 weeks and I have not lost any weight!!! I do not understand what is going on. Can anyone help me? PLEASE!!!

Thanks so much,
Erin

Dawna Thu, Apr-08-04 23:53

Hi Erin, the first thing that comes to mind is to question the integrety of your sticks. Maybe they've been compromised from moisture or age. I don't know which ones you use but I believe that Ketostix made by Bayer for diabetics is the most reliable.

The other thing I thought of is that ketosis does not differentiate between dietary fat and body fat. If you're eating too much fat then you might not be losing weight.

I've also read that the sticks don't work for everyone.

esboatman Fri, Apr-09-04 00:19

Thanks for your reply, I wanted to reply and give a little more info. I am using the Bayer Ketosis stix and they are pretty much brand new. After being in Ketosis (deep purple 160) for over 2 weeks and not loosing any weight I went off of the diet for 2 days to see what the Ketosis stix would say and they were (light pink 5 to 15). I am just really upset and confussed. Thanks again.

Erin

DianaO Fri, Apr-09-04 05:40

Do you use www.fitday.com
Do you count calories?
Exercise?
Drink water?

Lets see a sample menu

Rozie Fri, Apr-09-04 10:31

Hi. When I first started Atkins last May I went into Ketosis fairly rapidly. My sticks were never any darker than pink or lavender. I lost steadily. So, don't give up. The sticks do not have to be dark purple. Some people lose when the sticks are lighter (as in pink) and others lose when the sticks don't change colors at all. If you stick with the plan you will eventually lose. Some people are metabolically resistant and lose very very slowly. Perhaps that is your problem. You should post a sample menu so everyone can evaluate it to see if it needs some tweaking.

Rosie Real Fri, Apr-09-04 10:37

Hi :)

It would really help to see a typical menu of yours, because that's usually the first thing to try tweaking.

esboatman Fri, Apr-09-04 11:08

A sample menu for me :

Breakfast:

2 boiled eggs and 2 pork sausage patties

Lunch:

(I am really bad about skipping lunch)

Snack:

Pork skins or maybe deli meat and cheese

Dinner:

Baked chicken
Asparagus
Mixed green salad w/ egg, cheese and some kind of dressing (Ranch or blue cheese)

To be honest I either skip Breakfast or I skip Lunch only because I am not hungry.My water intake is around 2 liter a day and when it comes to excercise its not very much. Could this be the problem?

LadyBelle Fri, Apr-09-04 11:38

Well the pork sausages could have hidden sugars, and deli meat usually does too. If that is all you are eating though ir could be that you aren't taking in enough calories to meet your needs. If you don't give your body a supply of energy, it will store what it can in the form of fat to see you through the famine.

You might check out www.fitday.com and try just entering a few days menus. You might suprise yourself seeing what exactly you are eating.

DaddioM Fri, Apr-09-04 12:38

Good idea with fitday, a lot of people use it.

Also...you didn't mention if you were taking measurements. Take measurements of the different parts of your body. A LOT of people go through stages where their shape is changing, but their lbs are not.

This is a thread I created for people relatively new to the diet. It combines my own experience and what I've heard from others. Take a look...it covers many of the newbie mistakes.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ad.php?t=175492

Stick with it, look for those hidden carbs, CHECK YOUR MEASUREMENTS, drink lots and lots of water, exercise if you want to lose faster...

Be patient...it will come off...the extra weight did not arrive in a day, it won't come off in a day either.

GL

GL...