Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Convince me to give up aspartame! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=176992)

triplemom Mon, Apr-05-04 11:02

Convince me to give up aspartame!

Okay, I've been doing Atkins again for roughly a month and lost 6 pounds. I know that I'm a slow loser, and I'm okay with that and am happy about the 6 pounds. I've really been struggling here with the aspartame/Diet Coke. I haven't given it up, or even cut back on it. I know what "the book" says, but I'm just not convinced that it will make a difference for me. I really would like opinions from people who gave it up/noticed a difference or gave it up/didn't notice a difference. I generally drink probably 2 cans per day during the week, but I can easily go through a 2-liter bottle per day on the weekend! I'm not much of a coffee drinker, maybe 2 cups per month, but I love my Diet Coke and would love some input. I tried the Diet Rite cola and thought it was nasty, although I do like some of the other flavors. Thanks! :)

Blulady Mon, Apr-05-04 11:07

Hi Triplemom!

I've switched from Diet Coke over to Waist Watchers vanilla cream (sweetened w/ Splenda). I think the only way you'll know if its causing probs is to eliminate it for a week or two.

Hey... look at all you've done, you can give it up for 2 weeks - I know you can! I dearly love bacon and have been using it as a staple, but been wondering if it might be slowing me down (too many calories and way heavy on the fat and so salty).

Here's my proposition: You give up the Diet Coke for 2 weeks and I'll give up the bacon for 2 weeks - wanna make a deal??!

Pam

Marieshops Mon, Apr-05-04 11:10

Hi Triplemom,
Congrats on your good start. Everyone is different, so you will have to see what works for you. Some people on here did not give up aspartame and caffeine without any problems, others can't touch the stuff. I would suggest that you could cut it out of your diet for a week or two and then decide if you want to add the Diet Cokes back in. Also, make sure you are still drinking your water in addition to the soft drinks. Good luck.

Marie

Hilary M Mon, Apr-05-04 11:28

I avoid aspartame most of the time — not because it has anything to do with weight loss, but just because I think it is truly unhealthy for the body.

triplemom Mon, Apr-05-04 11:36

Okay, Pam, I'll make a deal with you! I'll try giving up the Diet Coke for 2 weeks, if you'll give up the bacon for 2 weeks. I'll report my findings in 2 weeks.

I've never seen "Waist Watchers" products. Is this something that you can find in the grocery store in the soft drink section?

DianaO Mon, Apr-05-04 11:39

I suggest don't drink it for a few weeks. Monitor your loss

Moonwalker Mon, Apr-05-04 11:43

i can definitely tell that things with aspartame cause problems with me.. i will easily put on a half pound or pound after drinking a diet drink with aspartame

3xmommy Mon, Apr-05-04 11:44

I absolutely love diet coke..I drank a lot during the beginning of induction and I lost 17 pounds..Now that I have stalled for a little while, I am cutting things out slowly that might be causing it..I have switched to caff diet coke. yesterday I had 3 caff free diets and 1 reg diet coke..Today 2 caff diet cokes..I will not add in the reg. diet coke unless I develop a headache from caff. withdrawl and can't get rid of it with Tylenol. My new plan is that I only will have a caff diet coke with my main meals and boy do I make that can last..the rest of the time is water(I hate water) I sip it slowly..A little at a time..
SO we can give this up together..I am a true diet coke addict and have gone through a whole 12 pack in a little over a day. SO are you up to the challange?
We can do this, I know....
There was life before Diet coke(can't remember it) but there was a life....
I feel your pain and know how difficult it is to give up diet cokes..I don't think a lot of people understand.. It's not like giving up brownies or chocolate(which is hard I know) You can have a meal w/o brownies, but you can't have a meal w/o a drink..Water just doesn't cut it...

SO I know you can do it..From one diet coke lover to another..
WE CAN DO IT...........

Michelle

Ps keep posting on your progress or pm me..

triplemom Mon, Apr-05-04 11:53

Oh Michelle, thanks for your post! The thought of 24 hours without a Diet Coke just kills me. :cry: Isn't that awful? I, too, am a water-hater! I literally have to chug it to get it down. I've mixed it with lemon juice, etc., but I would much, much, much rather have my precious Diet Coke! Maybe we need to start a "Diet Coke-free challenge." I'll be in serious mourning come tomorrow!

Thanks everybody else for your comments, too. I really want to do this to see if it makes a difference for me!

Blulady Mon, Apr-05-04 11:58

Hi Triplemom!

You're On! I haven't had any bacon today, any diet coke for you today?

I really think it could be causing some slowness for you - I bet you're going to be so happy in 14 days!

I'm also going to make sure I have no aspartame for the next two weeks either!

I'll be checking in on you! You can do this!

Pam

triplemom Mon, Apr-05-04 12:04

Pam, but OF COURSE I've had Diet Coke today!!! First thing this morning! I've had probably two servings today (so far, but the day is not over)! I've been gagging down my water otherwise. I am up for the challenge, but I'll start tomorrow. I actually may TRY not to have anymore today, but I still have what's left of a 2-liter bottle! :devil: It's calling me, begging me.....:tears:

sydnarella Mon, Apr-05-04 15:05

I'll tell ya, I'm addicted to diet coke and stopped two weeks ago. I drink a lot of walmart selzer water now with a squeeze of lemon (the walmart brand doesnt have any salt or sugar) over ice. It was HARD at first, then I realized I had to take a sodium pill because diet coke has sodium and my body was missing it. Doing pretty well now, lost a pound, and I FEEL BETTER - which is the reason I decided to go off nutrasweet to begin with. I do occassionally have a tangerine diet rite since it doesnt have the nutrasweet.

Blulady Mon, Apr-05-04 16:14

Hi Triplemom!

I've been thinking about you!!

I forgot to answer your question on the Waist Watcher soda. I buy it at my local grocery store (P&C and Tops). Its cheap here 99 cents a 2 ltr. I have noticed one thing though since giving all the junk up - it tastes soooo sweet. I had a drink of hubbys diet coke the other day and it was so sicky sweet.

You can do it!!!!!

ashley1 Mon, Apr-05-04 17:57

I was a true addict to diet soda (coke or pepsi, it made a ifference if it came out of a machine, bottle or can) and gave it up after 4 days of induction. That Nutrasweet is BAD for you. Now after 9 months of this woe, I have an occasional diet coke, it tastes very weird with the first sip or so, all chemically, by the end of the can my feeling for it is back to what it used to be. they make it addictive I'm convinced. Now it is an occasional treat, and not that good anymore.

More power to you and good luck!

triplemom Mon, Apr-05-04 19:35

Okay, I haven't had a Diet Coke since 8:30 this morning....I actually had a Diet Rite tonight and tea with dinner. Tomorrow is the big day! :)