Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   whey protein shakes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=176705)

Jill C. Sat, Apr-03-04 13:06

whey protein shakes

Does anyone make whey protein shakes? What do you put it in? What are the benefits?
Thank you...jill

maggieb Sat, Apr-03-04 16:00

I use whey because I am hypothyroid so I can't use soy. I use it after I lift weights for a quick way to get some protein in to me.

I used to put creme and berries and splenda in it to get my calories up as I had issues with not enough calories. Or sometimes I would make it with crystal lite.....

GreeksWife Sat, Apr-03-04 16:12

[SIZE=3][COLOR=Black][LEFT][FONT=Arial]

First Time Replyer... Here Goes

Been drinking Whey Protein Shakes since the beginning...(2 years)
Come in Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry. I think that they taste great.
Have never stalled using them, in fact I think they help the weight lose move along. 6g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 6g carbohydrates, 3g dietary fiber, 0g sugar, 20g protein. Great whenever. Not a meal replacement. I buy them online at a website, delivered to my door. Not sure if I can give website name. Let me know and I will.

Rocky_Cdn Sat, Apr-03-04 17:09

GreeksWife,

Do you just mix them with water? I just bought my first jar of Vanilla Whey Protien and haven't tried it yet. Just wondering!

Rocky

armywife3 Sat, Apr-03-04 17:58

What's the difference b/t these and atkins shakes mix. I make a lot of the shakes using atkins mix. The choc one has only 3 TOTAL carbs and only 1.5 net. I make them with cream and sugar free syrups and ice.

GreeksWife Sat, Apr-03-04 20:48

The Whey protein drinks that I speak about are already mixed and come in boxes like juice drinks. Already mixed and ready to drink. Comparable to the slimfast taste. Lots of protein and very low carbs.

csolyn Sat, Apr-03-04 22:00

If you go to a health store or a store like GNC or Vitamin Shoppe you will find a lot of whey shakes in fun flavors. I recently got a mocha one and I CRAVE the thing. I have missed foo foo coffee and this always does the trick.

I often mix mine with the Atkins vanilla or chocolate to add vitamins (that's what the Atkins are good for. But watch out! The new version now has SOY instead of whey as the main ingrediant *waaahh!*) to it. Don't use them as a meal, but as a snack. I add heavy cream and freeze them sometimes. They're like milk shakes.

ndhulst Sat, Apr-03-04 23:30

I live on whey shakes! I am not a breakfast eater so Its the first thing I drink every morning!! I found a vanilla ice cream flavor that is to die for!! I ususally put in cream, ice and blend in blender...very frothy!!

Now I do half cream half lc milk!! this is so yummy !!

sometimes I put in an avacado, now that I can have fruit I am going to try strawberries... I keep looking for banana flavoring locally but haven't found it...I love strawberry and bananas in shake...

I also keep vanilla around for cooking...I have found tons of recipes that use combination of protien powder and almond flour!! its pretty yummy!!

Dawna Sun, Apr-04-04 00:35

I make shakes with my Designer whey protein powder. I've got it in french vanilla and have mixed it with Hoods LC milk, half-and-half, yogurt, or a mix with heavy cream on low calorie days. I also add SF Davinci flavored syrups to taste. My powder has 2 carbs per scoop. The SF Davinci says 0 carbs. I freeze leftover gormet coffee in ice cubes and will sometimes throw those in instead of plain ice cubes. Fresh fruit is wonderful with the shakes. I'll be freezing some of my syrups into ice cubes to use that way. A shake made like this will serve as breakfast before or after my morning workout.

I've made shakes with just the powder, water and ice. This preparation works for me half an hour before a meal to subdue my appetite. It's absolutely wonderful in how it allows me to up my protein intake without shooting the calories and fat through the roof along with it.

I use the powder in all my hot cereal blends, pancakes, omelets and baked goods as well. I've found I no longer over induldge on nuts because my excuse is that I'm trying to up my protein. I've found an economical supply source on the web and am looking forward to getting the chocolate and french vanilla flavors in 5 lb tubs. The supply may just outlive me, but....it's the only way I can make it cost effective. Good thing I love the stuff.

madpiano Sun, Apr-04-04 19:24

when I did LC 2 years ago, I used Designer Whey in Vanilla and it was yummy. I am also not a breakfast eater, so I used to mix it with water and strawberries. Quick breakfast.

I now have the Atkins Strawberry Shake. It is yummy and tastes like a Stawberry Milkshake, but I get very hungry shortly after drinking it and also tired, so it does something to my bloodsugar. It is also very sweet tasting.

I think I may order Whey shakes again, as soon as the Atkins tin is finished.

Ms Sarah Sun, Apr-04-04 20:48

Whey???

Is this the name brand???? If not - what is a name brand in Canada...I'll go looking for some.

& you CAN use this as a meal replacement - correct???