Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Surgery at 280 vs 187 (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=176547)

hummelda Fri, Apr-02-04 13:36

Surgery at 280 vs 187

I just had my fifth surgery in 5 years this week. (Two thyroid, gall bladder, hysterectomy and most recently, ahem, female repairs). For all the others, I was well over 250 and just thought I would share the differences.

For those of you who are frightened of surgery at 280 (I can't speak for above that), I have to say that at no time during any of my four experiences did I feel that I was in any mortal danger. The doctors and nurses were kind, supportive, and treated me with respect. And this was in a public hospital; there are no private hospitals in Ontario, Canada.

That said, I did notice some major differences this time.

The gown fit and there was plenty left over to completely close it at the back. And I could wear the "housecoat" they provide instead of having to use a second gown tied the opposite way since the gowns are bigger than the housecoats.

When it came time to shift myself off the guerney and onto the bed, I actually shifted too far and had the nurse asking me where I thought I was going -- just applying the same effort I had in the past! It was much easier!

They hooked me up to an IV that had some sucrose in it -- and Day 2 I had a headache!! Anaesthetic or carb? Since I didn't have one before, I would guess carb!! I slept most of Day 2 -- didn't do that before, again, the effect of carbs?

And the food!! I took my own breakfast, nuts, and tins of tuna. One lunch was a hot dog, fries, grape juice and canned mandarin oranges in syrup. I couldn't even think of eating a bite of any of it. My tuna came in handy. The other meals were not much better! Other surgeries, I didn't notice and just ate all the sugar.

Getting up out of bed afterward, my BP was very low so I was lightheaded. But moving physically seemed so easy once my head was clear! I was up and down the halls numerous times.

Recovery at home? I started walking again on the third day - 15 minutes at a good clip -- but it's hard not to overdo the recovery since I feel so much better from the starting point!!

So two things -- first, if you do have to have surgery at a less-than-ideal weight, it may not be as bad as you imagine! And second, losing the weight does help the whole experience!!

Rocky_Cdn Fri, Apr-02-04 13:58

It's so great to read that Louise. What an amazing difference.

I'm so happy to hear you're already out and about. I saw the pics of your walking spot - it's so nice.

I guess I don't have to wish you a speedy recovery anymore - you're zipping along so well! :yay: (Okay, but I still do - it'll be great to hear when you're 100%!)

Rocky

patricia52 Fri, Apr-02-04 18:56

Best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery.

leasmom Fri, Apr-02-04 19:34

Oh, what a nice thing to happen...I've heard horror stories of how nurses/doctors treat overweight people in the hospital, so I know you were glad that you no longer were treated like that.

My friend had the Gastric Bypass surgery and the nurse made a comment about her being too big to gurney and how she needed help to get her on the gurney. This hurt my friend dearly cause here she was having had weightloss surgery but it still wasn't good enough for this rude nurse.

So, glad you had a good experience and hope you recover soon.