Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Kellog Special K Low carb version! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=176425)

yossi Thu, Apr-01-04 22:15

Kellog Special K Low carb version!

YAY!!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...0/dt10103300007

IwillLose Fri, Apr-02-04 05:35

How exciting! I can't wait!

BlitzedAng Fri, Apr-02-04 05:40

Oh my my my. That was one of my fav cereals. Somthing to look forward too "IF" it doesn't cost $6 a box like most lc cereals.

MyJourney Fri, Apr-02-04 06:01

Whats it going to be made of?

Angeline Fri, Apr-02-04 06:34

Sounds like just more processed crap to me

ellemenno Fri, Apr-02-04 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
Whats it going to be made of?

That was my first thought. I'm curious to see the ingredients list. Some LC cereals are made with soy and a bunch of ingredients I can't say. All the LC cereals we buy are made with nuts and fruits and flax, etc.

I have a feeling LC Special K will probably be the type of cereal to contain soy, etc. A quick search over at Kellogg's gave me nothing but nutrition info on regular Special K and if the company sticks with a list like that, it doesn't look very promising at all.

yossi Fri, Apr-02-04 10:10

they will most likely use soy and sucralose in place of the wheat and sugar they use now, to bring the carbs down from 25 to 9

Kristine Fri, Apr-02-04 16:43

*sigh* You know low carb has gone the way of Snackwellization when the ultimate low fat, low calorie, low satiety diet food - Special K - tries to be low carb.

chebbles Sat, Apr-03-04 00:38

Not sure about this. Never tried Special K coz I took exception to their ads (always v.slim women eating it to look good...rather than nutrition etc being the goal - and I do understand they couldnt target nutrition as there is a complete lack of it in the box.). Honestly as if women arent special without eating special k. Please. Some chocolate flavoured oat based cereals have less sugar and are healthier. Sorry, didnt realise I felt so strongly about this! This is not aimed at anyone just a rant that happened out of nowhere!

Lisa N Sat, Apr-03-04 07:33

Wonder if that new Special K will also be promoted as part of a "low carb" Special K diet...eat two bowls a day and a "normal" meal and lose X number of pounds in 2 weeks? :lol:

Angeline Sat, Apr-03-04 08:29

Hey I got a special diet for you here. Drink 2 bowls of my ultra-special tap water and a "normal" meal per day and you will loose lots of pounds. Garanteed fat-free, carb-free and calorie-free.

yossi Sat, Apr-03-04 16:43

lol yeah that special k thing is silly , heck, eat only two snickers bars a day and a regular meal and youl lose weight!

madpiano Sat, Apr-03-04 17:15

I wonder if it is going to be some kind of Weetabix (basically just fibre), or if they will rival proper LC Breakfast Cereals and make it a mixture of Flax/Oats and nuts ???

For the sheer convenience I really like breakfast cereal and therefore I really hope, that Kellog's wil do this properly. Not that we in the UK will see it before 2010 anyway.....

RobinAH Sat, Apr-24-04 06:24

Special K Very Good!

I tried the Special K Low Carb today and it's very good. I used it with some Splenda even though it is already lightly sweetened. I also used Hood Carb Countdown fat-free milk and some fresh strawberries. It is a very good product. Also, it wasn't expensive! At Harris Teeter in N.C., it lists for $3.19 a box, just like other cereals. They were having a "new product" sale and it was going for "2 for $4". If you miss cereal give this a try! :)

Lisa N Sat, Apr-24-04 06:55

My DH came home with a box of this because it was on sale for $2.00 a box (in-store promotion).
For those that are interested, here is the ingredients list:

Wheat bran, soy grits, rice, wheat gluten, soybean oil, whole grain wheat, soy protein isolate, sugar, salt, high fructose corn syrup, malt flavor, natural and artificial flavor, ascorbic acid (vitamin c), sucralose, alpha tocopherol acetate (vitamin E) reduced iron, niacinamide, acesulfame potassium, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamin hydrochloride (vitamin B1), vitamin A palmitate, folic acid and vitamin B12.

A serving is 3/4 cup and has the following nutritional values (cereal only):

Calories: 100
Total fat: 3 g
Saturated fat: 0.5 g
Transfat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 g
Sodium: 110 mg
Potassium: 320 mg
Total carbohydrate: 14 g
Dietary fiber: 5 g
Sugars: 2 g
Other carbohydrate: 7 g
Protein: 10 g

A serving has roughly 1/3 of your RDA of most vitamins with Calcium, Zinc, Selenium and copper at less than 10% of RDA.