Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Loosing actual pounds (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=175625)

Patty Grau Mon, Mar-29-04 10:51

Loosing actual pounds

Hi all,

I have been low-carbing for a week now after doing a sloppy job for about a year. We have had the loss of a family member in November, [I]and my biggest challenge is emotional eating! I was eating and eating to make myself feel good, well beyond hunger.

I am now using the Atkins plan strictly--I think. I bought their journal, and I love the structure of that. I am planning what I eat (counting every carb) for a reason (my goals) instead of just eating to make myself feel better.

So my question is, why did I loose only 1 pounds in this past week?? My pants feel not-so-tight. My measurements showed a little loss. But the scales hardly budged. I am exercising.

Thanks for any commnets.

Patty

ndhulst Mon, Mar-29-04 10:55

if your exercising you will gain more muscle which ways more...I started a very active program when I started this woe and the pounds dropped slowly but the inches kept going!!

now down 15 pounds I fit into pants that I normally was more than 20 down!! in fact my friends don't believe I have only lost 15!! so don't get discouraged...it will all come out in the end!

pookalee Mon, Mar-29-04 11:13

Think lonnnnnngggg teeeerrrrmmmm! If the pants are fitting better, that is great progress. Hang in there.

tammy565 Mon, Mar-29-04 11:18

Hi patty,

You made a post for me so i thought i'd write back.

Like you I also was sloppy with atkins. I've started and stopped about 4 times. I noticed that when I started induction a few months back (the 3rd attempt) I only lost a pound or two as well. I think it was because i was sort of following atkins but i'd have a glass of wine or two and if someome bought in cookies at work i'd have one and then some morning i'd have one piece of toast, and so on. I only had a few cheats and not every day so this may be why we don;t lose much during induction because our bodies are already used to a reduced carb intake. I have no idea if that is the reason but that's just my suggestion.

I'm sorry to hear about your family death. I lost my father 2 years ago to oesophagal cancer. He had always loved his food so I used to eat everything he couldn't because i felt bad. I comfort ate for the whole year that he bravely fought cancer. Needless to say i put on weight! I was doing quite well with atkins until x-mas when my grandad was diagnosed with cancer and died in feb. This all bought it back for me and I started comfort eating again. I know how hard it can be but now that i'm in the right frame of mind I'm ready to do this and I'm glad you are at this point as well and doing it for you.

Good luck

Tammy

Patty Grau Mon, Mar-29-04 13:13

Thank you, Tammy!

Comfort eating really just makes my tummy hurt and my jeans too tight! Yes--we are ready to do this and to do it for ourselves. Others will benefit, but we are worth something, even tho grief makes things seem worthless, at times. God bless you today!

Patty Grau Tue, Mar-30-04 09:03

Still Wondering,

If one looses quite slowly in the first 2 weeks (induction) does that mean that one should stay on induction longer?

I would think it good to be loosing significantly before adding in any more carbs.

Thanks in advance,

Patty Grau

DianaO Tue, Mar-30-04 10:10

Some loser slower then others. for 4 months I lost 10lbs a month, now I am lucky to lose 1-2 a month! Uggg

Patty Grau Tue, Mar-30-04 17:44

Well, if you lost very slowly in induction, would you stay on induction longer than the 2 weeks? I have this idea that you have to get some mementum going in your loosing before you get to OWL.

You sure have been successful!

Moonwalker Tue, Mar-30-04 17:56

lets see a menu

Patty Grau Tue, Mar-30-04 22:02

OK!

Today:
Breakfast
3 eggs in butter, 1 1/2 oz cheese
Regular tea with 1 splenda

Snack - cheese stick

Lunch - Burger with mustard and mayo
small serving brocoli w/sour cream

snack 1/2 Atkins shake

dinner:

small half tomato and half avocado with a
little sour cream and salsa
small fiber supplement (started that today)
and other supplements
Also an Atkins bar on the run.

snack: Tuna and mayo, and then cream cheese on celery.

Also had 20 oz diet coke gradually through the afternoon.

This all added up to 19.5 carbs, using the carb counter book. Most of my evenings are not on the run and my dinners are more like meat, salad and veg, all carefully measured except the meat.

Most days I drink my 8 cups of H20 as well.

Thanks for listening!

Patty Grau Tue, Mar-30-04 22:29

PS There is one thing wrong with my profile. I am really in week 2--induction.

Also, I have been exercising, about every other day, both aerobic and weights and stretching.

Thanks for looking at all this for me.

idontno Wed, Mar-31-04 03:24

i would up the water intake, you got to have alot of water to do the whoosh thing. i drink about a gallon or more a day.... the less water you take in the more likelly
your body will hold water. good luck youll get there!:)

Katie_K Wed, Mar-31-04 06:47

You might want to cut out the caffeine a bit, too. I noticed you had regular tea and a diet coke. Caffeine can slow your weight loss, too.