Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Does anyone hard cook their eggs in the microwave? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=173513)

scorpio381 Thu, Mar-18-04 09:15

Does anyone hard cook their eggs in the microwave?

I get so tired of hard boiling eggs. I know it's not really a tough job, but it's so tedious. First, I have to remember to take the eggs out of the fridge and let them warm a bit. Then, there's the boiling.....seems like forever. Then, there's the cooling down period. I place mine in cold water and let this sit for a long time so the shells slide off. So I was wondering if there's a way to nuke eggs (other than for scrambling), and found this:

>>>Hard-Cooked Eggs

Separate yolks and whites of eggs into 2 lightly greased liquid measures or small bowls. Stir yolks with fork. Cover each container with plastic wrap. Cook separately on 50% or 30% power, stirring once or twice, allowing about 20 to 30 seconds per yolk, about 30 seconds to 1 minute per white. Remove when slightly underdone. Let stand, covered, about 2 minutes. Cool long enough to handle comfortably, then chop or chill until ready to chop.<<<

I really don't ever eat just plain hard boiled eggs. I just boil eggs for deviled eggs or egg salad, so this might be a good alternative. Anyone ever try this?

PecanPie Thu, Mar-18-04 09:38

Hi - I actually poach eggs in the microwave. You do have to watch it closely, and it is not as fast as scrambled, but it is a nice change. I heat water for about two minutes, crack two eggs into the heated water, then heat the eggs for first 1 minute than 30 seconds at a time for up to 3 0r 4 times depending on the microwave. if you use a clear measuring cup you can see when they are done. I've gotten good at doing it so I still have egg yolk, but you can cook them hard.

Good luck,
Pecan Pie

teresamay Thu, Mar-18-04 09:56

I usually just whip a couple eggs in a bowl, and zap them until they are hard in the microwave, then cut them in chunks....they are great as a "filler" in soups, and stirfrys..

doogieb Thu, Mar-18-04 10:44

I regularly crack 2 eggs into a cup, pierce the yokes and then nuke on high for about a minute.

Be careful though, if you do them too long / don't pop the yoke, they can explode and make a mess of the micro!

Strudel182 Thu, Mar-18-04 11:11

There is also a great device that cooks up to 7 eggs in one go. You add as much water as you need for soft, medium, or hardboiled, and in just a few minutes it is done. Siemens manufactures the one I use.

If this solution won't work for you, you can hard boil more than you need, and then store them (still in their shell) in the fridge for up to a week - possibly longer but I've not tried. Just write an "H" on the shells so you can tell which ones they are!

doogieb Fri, Mar-19-04 06:55

My steamer has a bit in the bottom for cooking eggs which is what I use if I want some HBs.... good tip Strudel182 about writing on them so you know which ones in the fridge are which! :D