Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Don't you drink decaf? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=173502)

NOGAINHERE Thu, Mar-18-04 08:29

Don't you drink decaf?

If you don't drink decaf coffee because of taste, get yourself whole beans and grind them yourself. Grinders are as cheap as $10 - you won't be able to tell it's decaf once your dependency on caffine is gone.

Strudel182 Thu, Mar-18-04 08:40

Or find already ground Lavazza decaf - tastes exactly like the real thing.

doogieb Thu, Mar-18-04 10:47

Yeah, I use the Lavazza decaf in my filter and espresso maker.

Just a shame you can't get LC milk over here for latte! :(

Rosie Real Thu, Mar-18-04 10:52

I do this with espresso and you're right, you can't tell the difference in taste if you grind it yourself. Maybe has a lot to do with the aroma when you grind it fresh??

caverjen Thu, Mar-18-04 13:01

I buy whole beans from a local place that roasts their own beans fresh everyday. The decaf tastes as good as the regular. But I'm not going to bother with making coffee that doesn't work! :lol:

Jen

LadyBelle Thu, Mar-18-04 16:01

I have some ground columbian that is decaf. I use it when I want an LC latte for a before bed treat. I was drinking decaf all the time, but with this new job I need my morning jolt :)

patricia52 Thu, Mar-18-04 21:59

I switched to decaf when I started lcing because I didn't like being addicted to anything.
We started looking around for the best decaf -- stay away from supermarket decaf beans. We like the Java Hut (local shop) decaf, but tip of the top, cream of the crop is Starbucks Sumatra dark roasted decaf. Yes!

Nancy LC Thu, Mar-18-04 23:00

I detect something in decaf coffee with my nose that just turns me off. Its some kind of a chemical smell or something that I associate with the decaf taste. Its not *as* bad in the expensive varities, but it still isn't as tasty as the real thing, so I stick to the hi-test stuff.

KatyDee Thu, Mar-18-04 23:41

I switched back to the leaded stuff after a month or so of terrible constipation. It didn't hurt my weight loss at all. What a shock.
Katy

doogieb Fri, Mar-19-04 06:49

KatyDee it's not so much to do with directly hurting your weight loss, it's upsetting your blood sugar which can cause you to feel more tempted to snack on things that you shouldn't... that's the way I remember it from the book anyway!

triplemom Fri, Mar-19-04 07:03

I never switched to decaf. I only drink about 3 cups of real coffee a week, and it doesn't seem to bother me. Now Diet Coke, on the other hand......very, very hard to give up!

Fatkat Fri, Mar-19-04 07:22

I switched to decaf during Induction. I just used my local store brand and I didn't notice a change in taste much. 2 weeks ago I stopped drinking decaf coffee and now I have 2 cups of green tea with a teaspoon Atkins SF strawberry syrup.