Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Health (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Cold hands and feet? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=173098)

dalejr8fan Tue, Mar-16-04 12:34

Cold hands and feet?

Ever since starting Atkins (Saturday - 3/13), my hands and feet are always cold. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get them warm. I wear two or three pairs of socks and they're still like ice. I've even put my gloves on in the house hoping to warm them up. I do live in a cold area (Michigan), but I've lived here my entire life, so cold weather isn't something new (plus, it's not been THAT cold really). In an effort to get my hands and feet warm, I'm roasting the rest of my family out of our home.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal? Or something I should possibly call my doctor about?

Thanks!

Brandee ~

NOGAINHERE Tue, Mar-16-04 13:03

ya klnow I've had cold hands and feet a lot lately too. :?

cmcole Tue, Mar-16-04 13:06

I heard lots of people say they were cold.
It happens occasionally to me.
I keep wondering if I'm eating enough fat or protein that day.
Today is bad.
My breakfast was spoiled on the way to work (I carry it in a container and nuke it once I've arrived). It spilled all over my backpack.
Anyway, I ended up mixing up a shake (happened to have a package that my hubby had purchased for me - just coincidental).

So, I haven't eaten anything substantial today, and I'm finding I'm cold. My fingers and toes are really like ice today. I still think my original theory is valid - I haven't eaten anything to burn off, creating heat.

Other times, I'm fine. Other "cold" triggers are hunger or tiredness, for me. I notice it both times. So, perhaps it's more my body talking to me, than the real temperature outside my clothes.

LadyBelle Tue, Mar-16-04 14:48

Check out the sticky about coconut oil on top of the suppliments forum. Some swear it helps with basal body temp.

Exercise could also be good as it helps circulation.

neen Tue, Mar-16-04 15:48

I find if I getting rid of lots of extra fluiid I am cold alot. If you you take in alot of water and are constantly peeing you will be cold.
Neen

freckles Tue, Mar-16-04 16:45

I'm constantly freezing too. I thought it was because I'm taking coumadin to 'thin' my blood. Maybe it's not. I get a pretty good amount of fat and I exercise 5x per week...maybe I'll try the coconut oil LadyBelle suggested. It's 68 here today!!! I'm wearing a sweat suit!!!

scottjan Tue, Mar-16-04 20:06

I've found that I am much colder on a lc plan. I believe it is the lack of sugar in my system. I used to the warm one in the family.

POOKETTE Tue, Mar-16-04 20:52

I agree, sometimes at night my feet are so cold I have a hard time falling asleep even with socks on.

dalejr8fan Tue, Mar-16-04 23:04

Thank you all for your replies! It makes me feel better knowing other people are experiencing the same thing.

Thanks much!

Brandee ~

teresamay Wed, Mar-17-04 06:32

I am ALWAYS freezing! I think it is the water I drink all day (not sure, jsut a guess :) )...

lizwhip Wed, Mar-17-04 23:12

I have experienced the cold extremeties every time I have been on a weight loss program, not just LC. So maybe it is just a byproduct of losing weight???

Liz

ndhulst Thu, Mar-18-04 01:04

I am also cold more than usual!! my hubby hates my cold feet at night LOL

I kind of thought it being I am burning fat, or my body is working more right now ?!? who knows...all i know is that its worth it...I use to get so hot I couldn't stand it, so this is different for me LOL:)

HeMe2Kids Thu, Mar-18-04 02:54

Well this is so funny that I was just thinking the same thing and since I was at the doctors getting the results of the blood analysis (VERY GOOD buy the way) I asked this very question!

He said, that yes it is in relation to the body conserving enery to work harder to burn the fat while in ketosis!
So be glad and know as soon as you go through the plan to OWL you will be back to normal.

Sooike Thu, Mar-18-04 05:03

" cold feet and cold hands means warm hart" that's what they say over here.

xxxomnixxx Thu, Mar-18-04 06:37

I also suffer from the cold hands and feet phenomena, but to the extreme. Some of my fingers actually turn fish belly white and begin to tingle painfully. When I brought this to the attention of my Physician he tagged it as being called "Raynaud's Syndrome". I've always had problems with my extremities in the cold, but on low carb it seems to have gotten much worse. I've been on low carb for just over 4 years now. In general, I have found that if I eat smaller meals more frequently, the coldness isn't nearly as bad. I also noticed that on those times when I have severely broken the diet, I experienced the exact opposite, where I was walking around feeling hot and flushed, and waking up with night sweats, etc. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.