Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Store bought burgers (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=172887)

Jaded Mon, Mar-15-04 14:21

Store bought burgers

I've been looking for hamburgers and have yet to find any without toasted wheat crumbs. Are these ok for induction? (For 100gms I think the carbs were 2.1)

Tracey71 Mon, Mar-15-04 14:32

I would say no they are not ok for induction. Places like Loblaws and Loeb sell them pre-made fresh, not frozen. They are with the regular meat and are about $2.50 for 4 patties.

teresamay Mon, Mar-15-04 14:35

IGA, Safeway, anyplace with a meat section will have teh premade pure beef patties...or, just buy a load of hamburger, make your patties one weekend and freeze them in ziplocs..works great!

Jaded Mon, Mar-15-04 14:41

I was thinking that they wouldn't do for induction. What do you put in your own homemade ones?

twinky Mon, Mar-15-04 14:48

home made
2lbs ground beef
salt
pepper
1 egg
onion

nikkil Mon, Mar-15-04 15:06

I've put crushed pork rinds in the mix, too, in place of bread crumbs.

I don't know if you have them out your way, but Real Canadian Superstore has their President's Choice burger patties (cheap, too) that are 100% beef--no fillers.

Hilary M Mon, Mar-15-04 15:55

I just smoosh up the meat (buy ground chuck or something fattier for burgers, like ground beef) with some salt and pepper and a little fresh onion. No need for an egg or bread crumbs, in my experience, but if you use onion, don't use too much or they won't want to stay together. You can buy a family-size pack of meat when it's on sale and make a bunch of patties to freeze (wrap 'em in wax paper so they don't stick together).

4beans4me Mon, Mar-15-04 16:08

Sam's Club sells a huge box of premade 100% ground beef patties for cheap! :thup:

MyJourney Mon, Mar-15-04 16:19

I dont use anything but meat and sometimes I rub in some garlic powder and pepper.

When I make meatballs I use eggs but for hamburgers I never had the need.

any meat dept at a supermarket should have it or a butcher shop.

hornbrau Mon, Mar-15-04 16:20

I buy the ground chuck in the 5 or 10 lb chub, then I just slice them the thickness I want and presto, nice round burgers with little mess.

babydoll23 Mon, Mar-15-04 16:38

if you go into the meat department, usually near the ground beef/turkey section they have the preformed patties. save a center has turkey, pork and beef ones. they are pure beef only.

usually when i make them i put a small amount of onion powder and tony's seasoning in with the beef and form the patties and fry it like that. sometimes i will put chopped onions in my husbands patties cause he loves onion. then you just fry/grill/george foreman them. i have never used breadcrumbs or eggs in them.