Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Any kid of chinese food I can have? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=172545)

DEM Sat, Mar-13-04 15:59

Any kid of chinese food I can have?

I have family visiting and they want to go get chinese and I was wondering if anyone could list some chinese foods I could eat on the Atkins diet? A small cheat is ok as long as its not a whole lot of carbs. I would get chicken and broccli but its mixed with noodles so I wouldent end up with very much to eat. If there really isnt anything I can get I am gonna have to end up eating lunch meat since I dont have anything else in the house.

twinky Sat, Mar-13-04 16:03

Careful of many of the mixed vegetables because they add startch to thicken and orange juice
Same with the chow mein
If you can, Stick to the plain meats , and the salad bar

AFwife Sat, Mar-13-04 16:06

I have once a month, sweet and sour chicken and/or beef and broccoli. I don't eat anything else with it. Just water. :)

Lily

DEM Sat, Mar-13-04 16:19

is sweet and sour chicken breaded? and is the chicken and broccoli by itself or with noodles?

twinky Sat, Mar-13-04 16:24

the sweet and sour is INDEED breaded and the sauce is made with REAL sugar
a NO NO for sure
Its a sure way to lower your ketones if not wipe them completely out and having to wait for about 5 days to bring the ketones back up
Stick to the plain meats and the salad bar
Most chinese restaurants have a great variety of goodies in the salad bar
shrimp
boiled eggs
different fruits
and some even have reg roast beef and such
go with what you know

4beans4me Sat, Mar-13-04 16:33

I usually just order sauteed garlic, shrimp and mixed vegetables, no gravy/sauce/rice, and egg drop soup. :)

RBenz72 Sat, Mar-13-04 16:40

Hi...couldn't help but say GEEZ ~ this. I just posted yesterday on the Newbies thread about Sodium Retention from eating Chinese Food. I gained like 5lbs from eatin double mushroom prawns and hot and sour soup. And this was w/no MSG. Check out the thread in the Newbies. Also, I didn't realize that there are other additives to chinese food that will send your scale to numbers U don't want to see! But...if U have to go...try to eat the shrimp/no sauce or beef/no sauce or chicken/no breadin/no sauce. It's tough going out ~ Chinese Restaurants. Didn't think so until that 5lb water/sodium retention I got from eating protein rich chinese? Bummer....

DEM Sat, Mar-13-04 16:48

Alright I found a menu...I am looking at sauteed broccoli in garlic sauce. Anyone tried this? Or stringbeans szechuan style.

4beans4me Sat, Mar-13-04 16:56

Be wary of anything that says *sauce*.. I would think most of them are thickened with starches...

DEM Sat, Mar-13-04 16:56

I was thinking the same thing. I think im just gonna have to do lunch meat. Everything is in freaking sauce.

4beans4me Sat, Mar-13-04 16:58

Lunch meat :lol:

Seriously, just ask for it sauteed with oil and garlic, then season at the table with a bit of soy sauce.

DEM Sat, Mar-13-04 18:07

Well I found a bottle of really good LC barbeque sauce I had so I poured that and hot sauce over some bologna and it was pretty darn good.

twinky Sat, Mar-13-04 18:09

well what brand is that barbeque sauce I have an entry hoping someone would let me know of a good tasting one

DEM Sat, Mar-13-04 19:32

It is called Carb Options and is 3g for 2tbs

LadyBelle Sun, Mar-14-04 03:11

Ask them if they make thier own sauces. You can request a meal with no sugar or starches in the sauce. It will still contain msg because of the soy sauce, and that can be a trigger for some people.

I even found somethings at Applebees such as thier cajun steak and shrimp they can leave the sugar off if you ask.

I like the Atkins BBQ sauce, but only when cooked. Raw or for dipping it's nasty. If you cook it on a piece of chicken though it's great. I've found alot of non-LC BBQ sauces that were the same, nasty until cooked then good.