Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   how do you stay lc and use a cup of splenda???? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=172397)

elmuyloco5 Fri, Mar-12-04 17:55

how do you stay lc and use a cup of splenda????

I don't understand the recipes that call for a cup of Splenda. Is that how much you all really put in? According to Splenda there are 2 tsp in a packet. There are 48 teaspoons in a cup.....at one carb a packet....that's a lot of carbs in a recipe just to sweeten.....not to mention anything else that's in the recipe. I've also noticed in the things I make, Splenda is super super sweet. How can you take so much of it? Doesn't it make the food taste awful?

wils Fri, Mar-12-04 18:02

Most recipes call for the bulked up Splenda in the box, it has a filler in it to make it the equivalent of sugar, the packets are more concentrated. Somewhere I've seen posted how to sub the packets for the boxed stuff, but can't remember where. The boxed splenda has I believe 24 carbs per cup and when spread over a complete recipe, is divided by the number of servings. Hope this explains it for you. And yes, sometimes I find the recommended amount too sweet, but I try the recipe once and then cut back a bit if I find it too sweet, the same as I used to when I used sugar.

elmuyloco5 Fri, Mar-12-04 19:01

So then if I use packets (which is what I have been doing .....not a sup of them either....about 8 packets in a recipe), should it cook the same? Or do you need the fillers to make the recipe turn out right? I've only done muffins and some cookies....but nothing else. My daughter's b-day is coming up and I would like to make an lc cake.

I understand that you have sto subtract it by servings, but still 24 carbs can add up a bunch if you have another 24 carbs for almond flour....and ....and ...and (you get the picture).

Skyangel Fri, Mar-12-04 19:03

1 cup of the granular is equal to 24 packets.

1 cup of the granular = 1 cup of sugar in sweetness

1 packet = 2 tsp. of sugar in sweetness

Granular = 24 carb grams per cup

1 packet = 1 carb

elmuyloco5 Fri, Mar-12-04 19:13

Thanks a bunch!!! My husband's and my eyes popped out when we saw a cup of splenda on a recipe. I thought holy cow, I have to fill a cup with packets...that'll use up the whole darn box!!! I'm glad I just taste tested first!

LadyBelle Fri, Mar-12-04 19:41

That's why I use pure stevia extract. 0 fillers and 0 carbs :)

The bulk splenda has more fillers and more carbs then the packets. It does provide more of a sugar texture and firmness though.

elmuyloco5 Fri, Mar-12-04 20:05

My mom uses that too. I can't find it here in Hawaii. Guess I'll have to look for it online. Ugh! I can't wait to be on the mainland again!!!! Such wonderful variety!!!!

JustForFun Fri, Mar-12-04 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
The bulk splenda has more fillers and more carbs then the packets.
That is not exactly correct LadyBelle.

Read the post by Leenie in this thread, in which she received an email from the company which explains the difference between the two.

The pertinent info is:
  • Granular - sucralose, maltodextrin (0.5 gram per tsp.)
  • Packets - sucralose, maltodextrin and dextrose (.9 gram per packet = 2 tsp. of granular)
JFF:D

sus2 Mon, Mar-15-04 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmuyloco5
I can't find it here in Hawaii. Guess I'll have to look for it online. Ugh! I can't wait to be on the mainland again!!!!

Can we arrange to swap places for a few weeks...months...years?!?!?!?! I'll take no winter over Splenda variety any day!