Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Starting over and need some tips (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=171173)

daboi Sat, Mar-06-04 15:44

Starting over and need some tips

Im going to start atkins over on monday, can anyone give me any tips on how to stick with it.

and I have a few more ?'s

what is wrong with nitrate in meat, I mean will it stop you from losing weight.

and are these ok snacks for the first two weeks,
pork rinds
cheese cubes
pepperoni
turkey
american cheese

Thanks

Kristine Sat, Mar-06-04 16:37

Hi. :wave: The best way to stick with it is to figure out what caused you to go off last time(s), and change things. Is it because someone else's junk food is tempting you? Make them get rid of it. Were you unprepared at school/work? Try to do more do-ahead cooking and preparing. Is someone in your life being unsupportive? Speak up about it.

Most people think that all you're doing here is adjusting what you eat. What surprised me the most about eating this way is how I needed to change everything: when and how I shop, how I spend time in the kitchen, my routines when eating out or barhopping with friends, my thinking patterns (the biggest one) ... be prepared for that.

Nitrates, from what I understand, are carcinogenic. :exclm: A bit won't hurt you, but plain meats are generally better. Pork rinds, cheese, etc are fine. :thup: I would skip the American cheese, though... go for the real thing. And make sure you're eating veggies! They're mandatory. Enjoy them with your favorite salad dressing/dip. Three cheese ranch is my fave.

Feel free to tell us more about yourself and your lifestyle, and/or start a journal here. We could give you more specific feedback and advice. :wave:

idontno Sun, Mar-07-04 04:59

what works for me, i boil three eggs every morning to take to work. i eat a two egg omlet every morning for breakfast within 20 minutes of wakingup. i also take a bag of porkskins and a bag of mixed salad or spinch.
i buy the small packs of dele meats chicken,ham, beef or turkey. make sure they have no honey or sugars in them. for brunch i have one boild egg and porkskins.
at lunch i chop up the dele meat and one boild egg and mix it with the salad w/mayo only. afternoon snack i have my last boild egg and porkskins... for supper i ll
have some type meat with a salad, typ maybe a steak,
chicken breast, hamburger patties. i allways try to eat something before i get to the point of being hungry. you can do it. this is what works for me keep it simple.

nitwit Sun, Mar-07-04 16:33

Hello!!!

Just wanted to pop in and say hello!!! I too am re-startin induction tomorrow ... have got in all of the induction-friendly foods and am fired up!!!

I find that keeping a journal helps, especially as you can log all the foods that you have eaten and people can give you lots of advice and support!!!

Remember to drink LOTS of water, I really found this hard at the beginning although now I can easily get through 3 litres a day - although I prefer sparkling water to still!!!

Anyways! Good luck and fingers crossed for the both of us!

Take care - Lindy

daboi Sun, Mar-07-04 17:15

Thanks for your help I think im gonna do a journal when I have time.

It's ok to have american cheese on hamburgers right?

Im going to eat alot more salads this time before I didnt eat any because I didnt know you could have ranch dressing (I cant eat a plain salad).

Thanks for your help

and good luck to you too nitwit

skeet skeet skeet and im out

idontno Tue, Mar-09-04 04:00

no amercan cheese is out, and all so called lc junk foods
such as lc breads, lc candy bars, lc ice cream, and lc shakes. keep it clean stay under 20 carbs and those carbs need to come from vegs. ( i am still adv. 2-3 pounds loss per week!) i drink somewhere around a gallon of water a day. atkins works.

CindySue48 Tue, Mar-09-04 20:09

From the Atkins website:

"All cheeses have some carbohydrate content. The quantity you eat should be governed by that knowledge. The rule of thumb is to count 1 ounce of cheese as equivalent to 1 gram of carbohydrate. Note that cottage cheese, farmer’s cheese and other fresh cheeses are not permitted during Induction. No "diet" cheese, cheese spreads or whey cheeses are permitted. Individuals with known yeast symptoms, dairy allergy or cheese intolerance must avoid cheese. Imitation cheese products are not allowed, except for soy or rice cheese—but check the carbohydrate content."

Processed cheese like Velveeta, the cheese spread in a jar, LF, imitation, etc are NOT allowed.

But american is close enough to cheddar that it's usually listed together in calorie counters. Check the label, if it's 1g carb to 1oz of cheese, it's fine. You do have to limit it to 3-4 oz/day.

Check your labels tho! One package of sliced american cheese will have "0" grams or <1 gram on the label. But that's for a serving and a lot of sliced cheese is only 2/3-3/4 oz.