Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Coffee Craving? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=170895)

xvxwickdxv Fri, Mar-05-04 00:26

Coffee Craving?

I have a question. All my life I have drunk (drank?) :roll: 1 cup of coffee in the morning with nutrasweet and half and half. After that first cup I am good to go and don't drink anymore for the rest of the day.

Since starting Atkins, I notice about 5 p.m. I have an intense craving for a cup of coffee. Does anyone know why? It's driving me batty. As a matter of reference I drink a lot of water switch to water for the reminder of the day. Gotta drink a lot of water here in the desert!

Thanks in advance!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

RCFletcher Fri, Mar-05-04 02:41

If the craving is so bad have one! It won't kill you. You could try a cup of decaf and see if that works. Polls on this board have shown most people continue to drink coffee and still lose weight.

It could be that your body is lacking something. Are you taking vitamin and mineral suppliments? Coffee contains potassium - maybe this is what your body needs.

GrooveJock Fri, Mar-05-04 06:50

I drink one cup of coffee in the morning and one in the afternoon about 1 hour after lunch. It gives me a boost for my workouts after work. It has no caused any weight loss problems but as always, YMMV.
:-)

MrEWorm Fri, Mar-05-04 07:37

Before I started this WOE, I was drinking 15-20 cups of black coffee and 3 diet Cokes per day. During induction, I went cold turkey on caffeine. I went through some massive headaches for two days but they passed. After induction, I put back 2-3 cups per day of caffinated coffee. I have developed cravings for water.

black57 Fri, Mar-05-04 08:40

Wick, here is my theory. Your body is probably craving carbs and you are feeling it as a craving for coffee. My suggestion, drink the coffee. It is better for you than the carbs.

BlitzedAng Fri, Mar-05-04 08:46

For me coffee was a downfall. Wish it wasn't as tired as I feel in the a.m.

Katyspice Fri, Mar-05-04 08:52

Hi

For what it is worth....

When I first started induction I too stopped caffeine cold turkey - I used to drink one really good strong cup a day and about 5 Diet Pepsi. I have to admit I was scared to stop all the caffeine.

I was proud to have gotten off the caff and switched to water (I am up to 2.5 liters a day :yay: ), but I have decided to have one cup of caffeine in the a.m. Any weight issues I have had have been related to my bad behavior - not one cup o java!!

Give your body a real good cleanse and then see what works for you...

xvxwickdxv Fri, Mar-05-04 15:37

Thank you for all the responses.

The potassium issue, I will look into that because according to my fitday log, I am a bit low. I do take Calcium 2 x day and a Centrum.

I really wasn't worried about it as far as weight gain, was just sort of boggled by the craving. It's a strange thing to crave I think.

Thanks for the help everyone, you are all the best!

Wicky

sunspine17 Fri, Mar-05-04 15:54

I crave coffee too. Of course I crave my morning cup (who doesn't?!), but I also get an intense craving for it after I eat a meal. I have always had a cup in the morning and one after dinner during this WOE. I have added a small cup after lunch too because I crave it immediately after I am done eating. Strange-- I've also been wondering why but can't figure it out. Perhaps it's a blood sugar/insulin thing we are experiencing?