Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   going to Cuba need help (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=170468)

suntanlove Wed, Mar-03-04 06:11

going to Cuba need help

I am going to Cuba next month and worried that there will be nothing to eat there that is LC.I am told not to eat the salads and anything cold in meats if you can find any.No fruits unless you peel them.They say the pastas are good and so is the bread.How is that for LC???Can anyone help with suggestions or has anyone been there.Thanks guys I know that you will help me as you always have.

JayceeMn Wed, Mar-03-04 08:26

I've always wanted to go there--I'm so jealous!
The only thng I can think of is what can you bring in? Really your on vacation--do the best you can eating around the carbs and enjoy yourself, go on induction when you get back...IMHO

Itty Wed, Mar-03-04 08:57

Well, YIPPIE! I am going to Cuba in... Woohoo! TEN DAYS! Yeah!

Anyway, I think there are alot of foods for you to eat, specifically fish and seafood. Why are you staying away from the salads? What kind of hotel/resort are you going to? If it is higher end, don't worry about the food. These people have to cater to Canadian and European stomachs on a regular basis.

There is a great site called www.tripadvisor.com that gave me all the info I wanted about my hotel.

As well, I believe Health Canada or the World Health Org can give you info about Cuba, such as there has not been a Hep A outbreak for years, and stuff like that.

I will definitely keep you updated as a low-carber in Cuba...

The BAD news is that everyone on the Tripadvisor site raves about the Cuban pizza, saying it's the best in the world...!!!!

Mary

OOH! I forgot to say, the only thing I am bringing into the country is sweetener in packets... this place's economy runs on sugar and rum. I have been advised that there will be no sweetener there!

cc48510 Wed, Mar-03-04 09:17

PORK !!! Cubans makes some damn good Pork. I used to buy Lechon Asado from a Cuban Street Vendor in Miami...It was chunks of Roast Pork on Skewers with I believe Onions and Peppers and it was Delicious. I'd love to visit Cuba sometime, but not until Castro takes that long dirt nap. My Mother visited in 1958 under Batista, and my Grandmother in the 30s under Marchado.

Itty Wed, Mar-03-04 09:45

Um, isn't it illegal or something for Americans to visit Cuba? Or is it just a boycott?

M

bonesigh Wed, Mar-03-04 09:49

Great suggestions from everybody! I hope that someday I can travel to Cuba. It would be a very LC trip for me. Seafood, and many, many, delicious Cuban cigars!

LOL

AFwife Wed, Mar-03-04 10:21

Cuban food is good and perfectly safe to eat when you are there.

My Dad was Cuban and I know you'll be fine. No need to stay away from the salad it's fine. Just check what you buy to make sure it looks clean. Just like you would here.

Americans are welcomed into Cuba by the way.

Keep in mind however that Cubans don't enjoy alot of the luxurys we have in the states, or anywhere for that matter. Alot of the children have never seen chocolate candy or tasted it for that matter.

Dad always made sure to bring treats to the kids in orphanges there. Poor Kids! :(

Good luck and have fun. Cuba is a beautiful island.

Lily

vbrowne Wed, Mar-03-04 10:28

Where in Cuba are you going - I go to Varadaro every year, it's lovely. I find though, the first day you arrive, they have loads of fresh stuff, wonderful cheese, etc., then after that, the food sucks.

They do make omelettes and eggs for breakfast - lots of bacon is available too. Lunch was always easy, I just stuck to salads and cold meat and some fruit. The fish was generally dodgy, watch the dairy, they had "curry" once and I was very sick - lack of adequate refridgeration. Most places in Cuba have "a la carte" restaurants you can make reservations to go there, the fish is good at those restaurants and the food is better as well.

One last "tip" - you can eat at people's houses, they sometimes offer lobster dinners for a nominal charge.

Have a great trip -- I can't go this year, hopefully next!

Itty, '53 chevy, you make me laugh (just goes to show how desperate some are to leave)

Vikki

JayceeMn Wed, Mar-03-04 10:32

Itty--You have to go thru Canada, if you notice those that have been there are from Canada.....and least that's the way I understand it.

AFwife Wed, Mar-03-04 10:33

Oh I forgot, don't drink the water.

Just like when you go to any other country, you'll get stomach upset, you'll get use to it but you would have to be there for a very long time for that.

Carry your own bottled water instead.

Lily

vbrowne Wed, Mar-03-04 10:41

Yes I forgot, bring treats. I have always brought lots of clothes and extra shampoo, etc.

Vikki

PS: I know Americans are probably welcomed by Cuban but I though it's still illegal for Americans to go to Cuba (since '59) (via the usual methods) - I know some come up through Canada

filmlass23 Wed, Mar-03-04 11:41

Never been to Cuba... but I know when i've travelled abroad, I avoid street food. No matter how good something looks at a cart, beware. The locals can usually handle things that us "foreigners" can't...

suntanlove Thu, Mar-04-04 05:14

Thanks everyone for all the useful info/I am going to Valadero Beach to a 4 star hotel.It use to be a Club Med so i know it is good.I went ot doc office for Hep needle and nurse told me to only eat what I could peel.Bottle water.Since they have to wash salads in their water I feel it would make you sick right??Looking forward to hearing from how you make out ITTY.

Itty Thu, Mar-04-04 09:23

Yeah, I can't wait...

The saying I got from the Canada health site was:

boil it
peel it
cook it
or leave it.

Oh, I don't know if I can do without the salads, but I have a pretty wimpy tummy...

Mary

vbrowne Thu, Mar-04-04 09:25

I ate salads, no problem at all - just beware of dairy! The icecream is wonderful but not refriderated properly.

V