Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Good Earth Original Sweet & Spicy Herb Tea (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=169324)

Gwyn Thu, Feb-26-04 01:52

Good Earth Original Sweet & Spicy Herb Tea

I bought some Good Earth Original Sweet & Spicy Herb Tea (decaffeinated) and boy howdy this stuff is good. In fact, it's so good that it worries me; it's got to have hidden carbs in it!

Here's what the box says:
Ingredients: rooibos, rose hips, chamomile, cinnamon, lemongrass, peppermint, papaya leaf, anise, orange peel, ginger, artificial and natural flavors.

Contains no sugar, caffeine, artificial colors or preservatives

Our Original tea is naturally sweet & spicy and contains only 3 calories per serving. The sweetness is derived from its herbs & spices.

Again, this tea tastes wonderful! But it also tastes sweet, and too good to be true. So I worry. Do you think that anything that has only 3 calories could have many carbs?

-Gwyn

p.s. I wrote an e-mail to the manufacturer requesting both a carb count and a list of what constitutes "artificial" flavors, but I've not heard back.

Rosebud Thu, Feb-26-04 02:33

Hi Gwyn,

The most it can have is 0.75g carbs, because every 1 gram of carbs has 4 calories. ;) So you're pretty safe. And depending how strong you drink your tea, you possibly don't even get that much.

So I'd relax and enjoy. :)

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

LadyBelle Thu, Feb-26-04 07:59

Good earth is also a very good brand of teas. They used to have a weight loss one that was senna and stimulent free I loved. They have stopped making it or something though because it is impossible to find.

They also have a wonderful chai tea.

If you like naturally sweet teas, Celestial Seasonings put out one over the holidays called Nutcracker sweet. I thought it was great. They also have a regular one called bengal spice that is a little on the cinnimony side.

Gwyn Thu, Feb-26-04 10:49

What a relief; I can have my tea and drink it, too! Thanks, Rosebud and LadyBelle!

-G.

moeart42 Tue, Mar-09-04 15:53

That Good EArth tea IS great. I had forgotten about it. When they had Good earth Restaurants they would serve it so strong that we would add cream like coffee & it was soooo good. It was not decaffinated though & would definatly give you a "buzz" made that strong!

LadyBelle Tue, Mar-09-04 16:37

I just found a new one by good earth. Tension Tamer. It is the first "relaxing" tea I've found that is camomile free. I can't drink camomile without an intense headache. People with ragweed allergies also shoudl avoid it, so this is great :)

Momjeans Wed, Jan-13-10 02:14

I LOVE THAT TEA!!! And was just googling it to see its carbs, and found you on here in this forum that I have been loving since starting LC on the first of the year. I was sure it had to have something carby in it because it is so sweet and tasty and what else but sugar/fructose could do that to a cup of tea so perfectly!?!

Anyway I still would love to know what this mystery artificial flavor is??? That always seemed kinda weird... But if you buy the organic version that ingredient is left out.

zanjabil Wed, Jan-13-10 17:15

I love the tea too! I emailed them to ask about the 'artificial flavors" that are in it, I'll go look for it and copy and paste it.

zanjabil Wed, Jan-13-10 17:17

Ok. here is the reply to the email I sent to them:

Thank you for contacting Good Earth Teas.

We receive many inquiries about what the artificial ingredient is in our Original Sweet and Spicy tea. We try to use all natural ingredients whenever possible. If an artificial ingredient is used, we have made sure that it is exactly like a naturally occurring component in one of the spices or other ingredients. The particular ingredient you are referring to is a spice flavor. We have chosen the artificial flavor because we cannot get the same flavor delivery from an all-natural or organic flavor at this time, but we continue to search for all-natural alternatives to this one ingredient.

We do make all-natural alternatives to these blends, but one will notice a significant difference in flavor. Since our blends are what make Good Earth Teas so special, the actual ingredient is proprietary. However, if you have an allergy to something, please write back with what that allergy or sensitivity may be and I'll confirm/deny its content in the blend. Keep in mind that there is no msg, gluten, natural or artificial sweeteners in any of our blends.

We offer the Original Sweet and Spicy tea in several variations: with the artificial ingredient, an All Natural version, and an Organic version. All of these are available in a caffeine-free version as well. I would suggest you read the ingredient panel to be sure you are getting the Original Blend you prefer.

We hope this information is helpful. Thank you again for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Nancy Owens
Consumer Services Department
Good Earth Teas

So it's all clear folks! :thup:

zanjabil Wed, Jan-13-10 17:19

I just realized this was a REALLY old thread :D Oh well, I'm sure some one else could use this info.

persimmon Wed, Jan-13-10 17:44

I never mind someone's reviving old threads. I never saw this one, and that tea sounds great!

klowcarb Wed, Jan-13-10 20:39

I enjoy the Yogi green tea and Twinnings of London's Cranberry Pomegranate green tea.

Momjeans Wed, Jan-13-10 22:18

Holy smokes that Cran/Pom tea sounds delightful! Do they carry it at particular store or pretty much anywhere? Do you know?