Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Atkins low carb bars (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=168935)

Blu33b1rd Tue, Feb-24-04 11:52

Atkins low carb bars

I have been on the Atkins diet induction phase for 6 days. I am constantly in and out of ketosis. I admitt I am a bit obsesive about it. I was wondering if it is the lowcarb bars and atkins shakes that keeps throwing me out of it. Does anyone have any advise or a similar experiance? I decided today not to have anymore bars and shakes if that is the case but am a little depressed about it. Those were my only form of sweets... Please advise. Thank you.

Kristine Tue, Feb-24-04 12:12

Hi. Sugar alcohols are notorious for their unpredicitibility. Scientists can't even agree on whether or not they're absorbed. Obviously, as you found out, they are, at least partially. This doesn't stop them from labeling the products misleadingly. :nono:

You're honestly better off without them. The point of induction is to break the sweet habit, and as long as you feed the cravings, they'll keep coming back. Plow through them and they'll stop. :thup: The official word from the company is that the shakes and bars are *not* recommended on induction unless you're pretty stuck. I'd stick to the acceptable foods list. :thup:

Blu33b1rd Tue, Feb-24-04 12:15

Wow

The official word wasn't written big enough for me to notice in that huge Atkins book that I have gone over time after time.... Ug. Thank you for the insight! I figured atkins diet.... atkins bar was fine...
Thanks

AFwife Tue, Feb-24-04 12:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu33b1rd
I figured atkins diet.... atkins bar was fine...
Thanks

:lol: I thought the same thing when I started. I'm still doing Induction even after 32 pounds gone cause I like how fast I'm losing however, I do indulge in the occasional bar and shake now. Having gained control over my eating and having lost 32 pounds so far, I feel that a shake or bar every 10 pounds gone now is a treat. But I don't over do it, I use it only for treats as a reward for shedding the weight.

DH says it's like giving a puppy a treat for go outside to pee but hey, if it's what gets me by then so be it.

But yes, during the first 2 weeks of Induction I'd stay away from the shakes and bars, for now anyway.

Good luck,

Lily

idontno Tue, Feb-24-04 18:49

if it sweet i anit eating it till all the fats gone, atkins or whatever....... come this far there anit no short cuts; but the closest thing i know to it is atkins....

PKV Tue, Feb-24-04 18:52

:nono: That is not part of induction....sorry....it does get better I promise. :p I have had to start induction 3 times... reread the book and you will get there. good luck to you :wiggle:

kylie1988 Wed, Feb-25-04 10:51

You know, in the Atkins essentials book, there are menu plans for the 2 week induction..and each day includes a shake or bar. I ate everything you were supposed to (no bars etc) and For the first few days..I actually gained weight and then I decided to "cheat" and eat a bar a day..and have lost 7 pounds. Since I am still losing weight..I will keep eating them. It keeps me from cheating..and in MY case..it is working for me. Perhaps I'd be losing more if I DIDN'T eat them..but right now it is "that time" in my cycle..and I am just craving chocolate.

Kristine Wed, Feb-25-04 11:06

>>"The official word wasn't written big enough for me to notice in that huge Atkins book that I have gone over time after time.... "

Heh heh. Well, that's what the atkins.com site says in one of their FAQs. I can't believe they're pushing a bar and/or shake *every day* in the Essentials book! :thdown: I can't help noticing that the Essentials book is NOT credited to Dr Robert C Atkins, but "Atkins Health & Medical Information". Hmmm.

missaec Wed, Feb-25-04 18:52

It's weird. I'm on the Atkins WOE, but I don't trust the Atkins products. I've heard of a lot of people getting screwed over by eating the products. They even misleadingly labeled the carbs on their products until recently when the FDA made them change it.

I just stay away from all Atkins stuff now. Unless the labels are very, very clear, I don't buy it.

idontno Wed, Feb-25-04 19:12

buy the book, but i wouldnt eat one those things if you put a gun to my head..... hey ever wonder what is in a diet coke.... ok you remember what they use to say about butter and they made us a safer alterative
burnt motor oil ( margerine) would have been healther to put on pancakes. drink water and use carbs for vegs

gilibel Thu, Feb-26-04 09:42

Just stick to the original DANDR (U.S. 2002/U.K. 2003) and beware of the ADkin$ company later "produce" (incl. "diet books") and you'll be fine. ;) I.e. no "frankenfood"/junkfood LC-crap-nonsence, just the real, fresh foods originally recommended.

/gil

ruspt2 Thu, Feb-26-04 12:38

I have ate a bar or shake almost everyday and have lost almost 75lbs in just under six months! I agree all these low carb products and expecially sugar alcohols really screw me up and the diet. I am not a morning person and an atkins advantage bar and/or shake for breakfast is my only way most day to eat and not spend time making my favorite which is sausage and bacon. I eat 4-5 times a day in 400-500 Cal and about 5g carbs incriments. This takes care of my desire to constantly eat or chew something(I quit smokin also!) and helps boost my metabolism. It's a trade off for slightly higher weightloss. Diet soda sweetened with nutrisweet and sugar alcohols are the killer! They tear my insides apart and prohibit weight loss. I make koolaid with splenda. I'm trying to get really strict again and avoid these things as I push to lose my last 20lbs. It's nice to have treats and options but your best off avoiding them. I also use the bars as a fiber/nutrient supplement because my CLWL is so low (30g) that I have to get 30g fiber a day to stay regular. Just my take. 19.5lbs to go in 7 weeks hopefully to meet my new baby boy! I gained 70lbs with my last boy and lost that and then some with this one!

WeeOne Thu, Feb-26-04 13:07

My oppinion on this is if you are eating them, still losing weight and aren't experiencing any of it's nasty side effects than you are sooooo lucky! Everytime I eat one I regret it for a couple of days.

One of the points of induction is to rid yourself of any cravings for carbs and sweets. Believe me it works! I may have not lost a lot of weight but I rarely crave sweets, chips, bread etc. anymore. It is so easy for me to skip icecream in the evenings. I do have some maybe once or twice a month, but I used to have a sweet treat everynight and sometimes one wasn't enough!

Wee
Wee

gilibel Thu, Feb-26-04 13:50

Congrats ruspt2 if it worked for you! :thup: Also, big congrats to your weightloss, well done!! :D

If you hang around here for a while you might notice that most folks report stalls and problems with LC bars and shakes though. So, it might be a good thing not to include them in one's diet - especially not during Induction, if in doubt. As always; YMMV (your milage might vary.)

Cheers! :wave:

/gil