Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   homemade lo carb shakes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=165885)

sinistress Tue, Feb-10-04 09:22

homemade lo carb shakes

I've been on induction almost 4 weeks and have not lost anything for almost 2 of those weeks...I have an atkins or slim fast lo carb shake for breakfast every morning cuz I cant stand to eat breakfast and I'm afraid maybe the pre made ones aren't working too well for me.

Does anyone have any recipes for ones you make at home? I really want this to work for me and if the premade is stalling me I want to try somethiing else. I've seen a few threads where people use protein powder to make them but I don't know how much or how they use it....someone please help!!!

Hilary M Tue, Feb-10-04 09:36

It's very normal to get stuck for a few weeks after the initial big loss. Don't get discouraged; your body is just taking a breather to adjust to its new size. You will start losing again soon, I promise.

I agree that the canned low-carb shakes aren't the best, but I haven't stumbled across a good recipe for a homemade one yet. I'll be watching this thread, hoping someone else has a great recipe to share!

JayceeMn Tue, Feb-10-04 09:48

I hope someone has a good recipe--I don't like paying $2 pershake and it's not that I love them, but they're nice to have when your on the run and don't want to skip a meal--or as a snack.

delilah Tue, Feb-10-04 10:21

Well, I grabbed one from here and modified it to fit my ingredients on hand. Tasted better than my real ice cream milkshakes!!! Can't wait to make one this morning!!

Vanilla Milkshake

4-6 ice cubes
1/2 c heavy cream
1 egg
1 scoop unflavored whey protein
5 packets Splenda (or to taste)
1/2 tsp vanilla (well, I just poured some in, but that's what I think the amount was!)

Blend until smooth! :yum:

Oh, and it's 9g carbs and 1g fiber if you use 5 packets of splenda. So, 8 g net.

sinistress Tue, Feb-10-04 10:28

thanks for the reply.....the shake sounds just like what i'm looking for.....I have a small question tho....isn't it sorta unsafe to put an egg in your shake...i mean it won't be cooked and that can make you sick!

delilah Tue, Feb-10-04 10:33

Well, I've been putting eggs in my shakes for years, and I haven't gotten sick once! *knock on wood*

If you decide to go without the egg, you might try adding a bit of water instead, to help the blender do its thing.

Just did a search on what the actual risks are and found this:

In most eggs, the salmonella bacteria exist only on the shell. Eggs should be scalded in boiling water for five seconds before use.

faeriegirl Tue, Feb-10-04 13:10

I found a great vanilla protein powder here in Vancouver that is only 1 carb per serving... it is fantastic!

I also use:
1/2c whipping cream
3-4 ice cubes
1/2c. water
1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
a few blueberries/raspberries, or strawberries
Then i blend it all smooth with one of those little hand blenders :)

It is a very energizing breakfast!!