Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Freezing cold ....... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=164580)

Sccuffy Wed, Feb-04-04 14:44

Freezing cold .......

For the first time at work I am actually cold, before lc I would be the one who was always hot.

Does this mean I am in major Ketosis?

kenjenmo Wed, Feb-04-04 15:11

I am not sure if it has to do with Ketosis or not but since starting to low carb, I am the same way. I am cold at work all of the time. At home, i used to be shorts and a t-shirt all year round but now its sweats, sweatshirt and blanket when Im just hanging out.

Thumbelina Wed, Feb-04-04 15:17

I'm curious about this too -- same thing with me, although the fact that my midwestern husband keeps the house chilly as an igloo doesn't help. I've noticed, though, that even with the 67 degree temp in our house, everyone else but me is warm!

Jen7416 Wed, Feb-04-04 15:25

Now this is just hearsay, but I've heard iron levels are depleted when on a diet, hence the blood being thinner. You ever notice skinny anemic people are always freezing? Not to mention all the extra pounds of insulation we've all lost.

CindyG Wed, Feb-04-04 15:31

I never used to be cold. In fact I rarely turned the heat on at home. Ok, so I live in California, and it doesn't get that cold here really :) I've had the heat on for weeks now and I'm still cold!

I wear cozy sweaters and wool socks to work and sit here frozen like an iceberg! When my thin co-workers complain about being warm and I'm freezing, I know something strange has happened!

Does anyone know why this happens?

KIDBXRS Wed, Feb-04-04 15:40

I am the same way!!! It is so odd. I thought it might have something to do with the water?????

Jeanne Sch Wed, Feb-04-04 15:47

Hey Thumbelina-
You don't want to be in house! We keep it at 60 degrees because the propane is SOOOO expensive (we go through over $250 a month of it at that low temp).

I'm usually cold this time of year but during summer, I was just as warm as usual. It does help when we take off body fat because it is an insultor - sure do hope the heat this summer will feel inviting ;)

Zuleikaa Wed, Feb-04-04 18:09

You could try 50 mg zinc a day. It's advised for people who are cold.

Sccuffy Wed, Feb-04-04 19:46

I think it might have been all the water I have been drinking from the cooler, and I had a slow day a work and spent it at my desk inhaling water for something to do. I must of had over 3 litre's today, I put a huge dent in our office water cooler.

I will have to bring a sweat shirt to work, for the slow days.

BlitzedAng Wed, Feb-04-04 19:52

I get chilly hands alot.

~krista~ Wed, Feb-04-04 19:53

I'm freezing too!!!! I found another thread about this somewhere else, maybe it was the general lowcarb forum and we're not alone!!

scottjan Wed, Feb-04-04 20:05

Are we all freezing?

Moonwalker Wed, Feb-04-04 20:14

wow i thought it was just me, im always cold too!

Sccuffy Wed, Feb-04-04 21:40

I think I remember reading something in the 1st couple of chapters in DANDR about being cold and ketosis?, but I can't look it up as I gave the bood to my mum to try and get her to change her eating habits a little.

Could someone else see if they can find it?

Volgal Thu, Feb-05-04 07:08

cold??

It was a standing joke in my house about me and my hot flashes and how I was ALWAYS burning up ~ even when it was only 68 degrees or so in the house. Now, 14 weeks into this way of life and 44 pounds lighter, I keep a blanket acound me ALWAYS when sitting on the couch and I ALWAYS have on long pants.

So, I hope someone with some medical knowledge out there can help us in finding out why and if this is a symptom of something like lack of minerals or vitamins that we need to add to our suppliments.