Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Strange Observation (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=162753)

Aushia Tue, Jan-27-04 19:15

Strange Observation

I wanted to post to see if I am just a strange one or if anyone else has noticed wierd things about their body.

Well, I have been low carbing for 3 months now...Noticed that I had a very steady weight loss for the first couple and slowed down for a couple of weeks now the weight is dropping again...okay that is not the strange part :). The strange part is that when I initially was dropping weight,during that time frame my gold rings were turning my fingers black, under the rings, where ever my rings rubbed. I did relate it to the weight coming off, just thought it was odd..then it stopped...coincidentally my weight loss dropped off too....then I noticed that wonder feeling of loss again and funny enough the rings are turning me black again....If I take my ring off and just run it down my arm it leave a long black streak... Could there be any relationship between the weight dropping off and the chemistry in my body that is causing this....I am completely fine otherwise...not eating differently...

Okay, it is just a "Strange Observation"

Aushia

Anyone got any other strange Observations, just so I don't feel quite so weird

Froggiebro Tue, Jan-27-04 19:20

I can't explain why this is happening to you. I can however, say that lowcarbing changed my entire body chemistry, especially while the weight was dropping off quickly. This is probably the deal with you too. Don't worry about it, and later when you are done losing, it will be one of those "funny" stories you tell about losing weight, kinda like I tell about how half my hair fell out then grew back thicker than ever.

Grimalkin Tue, Jan-27-04 19:31

I believe the jewelry tarnishing thing is from hormones. Before I hit puberty I would turn any silver that I wore black (and me too underneath it). After puberty I could run my fingers over tarnished silver and polish it up to a shine with the oils from my skin. LC can alter our hormonal balance too, at least temporarily.

LadyBelle Wed, Jan-28-04 00:50

I have a mother's ring that is 10k gold and am having the same problem with it turning my finger black. At times it will also turn the neigboring fingers where it rubs. I also noticed that oen of my earings (after a few months low carbing I got both my ears pierced 3 tiems) was tarnishing green. I just associated it with my natural chemistry as prior to LC I didn't really ever wear jewlery, esp not higher quality.

ozziesgirl Wed, Jan-28-04 01:34

I always heard it was something to do with iron or acid in your system. Perhaps it is ketones? My jewelery did that to me even before LC. Plus I kill my watch batteries, my watch stops when I wear it. Anyone ever heard of that???

Vel Wed, Jan-28-04 05:27

Interesting!

I have a very good friend who has the same reaction from her gold jewellry whenever she eats tomatoes or tomato products, like spaghetti sauce. The rest of the time the gold is fine on her. She would be playing with her gold chain and it would leave streaks of black all over her cheek and neck. Very weird. I think it has something to do with acidity, but I really don't know.

yvonne326 Wed, Jan-28-04 06:03

I was told tarnish from gold rings happens due to low-iron.

BrisaLee Wed, Jan-28-04 18:02

When I was a teenager, much, much, thinner I had that same problem. I could actually take my ring off my finger and write on my forearm! I was told that it was a low iron problem, but I'm not too sure how accurate that is. I know at one time I quit wearing jewlery all together just because it made me look so dirty. I no longer have this problem though.

doreen T Wed, Jan-28-04 23:16

The 5 Causes of Gold Smudge

1) A person's skin secretions and perspiration may contain chlorides and sometimes sulphides. These chemicals combine with the molecules of silver and copper usually found in gold alloy to form dark-hued salts such as silver chloride and copper sulfate. Also, in some women, temporary changes in body chemistry during pregnancy may cause gold smudge.

2) Outside chemical influences may be to blame. In a maritime, semitropical climate (such as in southern Florida, for example) chlorides from the ocean may combine with normal skin secretions to form corrosive chemicals. In a factory work area, sulphides could be present . There's also the possibility that cosmetics or detergents may contain chemicals that may corrode a person's ring. (Handling salt or salty foods may contribute to this also)

3) Gold smudge may be due to simple tarnishing. Air and water may pollutants such as sulfur dioxide from the burning of low-grade coal or fuel oil or contain chemicals such as phosphates. These chemicals can attack gold alloys directly, even when Jewelry Isn't being worn. When an owner slips a ring on his finger or slides a bracelet on her wrist, the thin film of tarnish rubs off as a black smudge.

4) Black dermographism, a relatively rare occurrence, may also contribute to gold smudge. This condition,, literally "black writing on the skin," occurs when tiny particles of dust or powder become Imbedded In a person's skin. They result In a sort of "human sandpaper" that can wear away specks of karat gold from a ring, bracelet or necklace. These specks appear as an ugly black-violet smudge.

5) Allergies. This Is a rare condition, but gold and the metals used in alloys can cause an allergic reaction. Nickel is considered the worst offender. A dermatologist can identify which is the guilty metal.

http://www.bedfordfamilyjewelers.com/gold.htm

osuzana Thu, Jan-29-04 08:12

This would always happen to me when I was about 2 weeks from getting my period. My doctor told me it was from hormones and my body giving off excess carbons.

Aushia Fri, Jan-30-04 05:44

Thanks Guys, this gives me some ideas as to why I am doing this.

Aushia