Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Beginner/Low Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Started taking Whey protein and L-Glutamine (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=162108)

burm Sat, Jan-24-04 23:37

Started taking Whey protein and L-Glutamine

Well I was just wondering if people had any comments about whey protein and glutamine.

I am started my lifting routeen last week (4 days/week) and I am starting to take whey and glutamine post workout and as my 1st meal before I get my breakfast. I am lifting pretty heavy, so i figured I should start suplimenting to help the muscle rebuilding.

I like the Vitamin Shoppe brand, I think its Body Tech. Its 3 Carbs per serving, no sugar carbs. Its made w/splenda and has 17g protein per serving, plus is cost effective. The best price protein out there i think.

What y'all think?

Meg_S Sun, Jan-25-04 18:23

You can't go wrong with whey and glutamine - they're pretty basic supplements, and among the most useful. It's like Calcium or B vitamins - you can't go wrong by having enough :)

I found glutamine capsules no good because there was so little in the pill that I would have to take handfuls at a time... but enjoyed the powder.

Meg

red1cutie Sun, Jan-25-04 18:45

If it wasn't for L-Glutamine (powder not the pills) on some days I would not have been able to walk. That stuff is good. It also help your immune system. I take 5 mg after my workout with my whey shake. If it was a really tough workout I take another 5mg during the day and another 5mg before bed.

Isopure Whey and Interactive Whey are two great :thup: whey protein shakes.

The Isopure (30g protein per serving) has approx 1.3 g per serving and the Interactive (34g protein per serving) has 2g per serving.

They come in at least 4 flavors (think Interactice has more than 4 flavors): natural (no splenda/sucralose), and the vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, banana cream (Interactive only)--28mg splenda/sucralose for Isopure and for Interactive 35mg sucralose/splenda.

red

burm Sun, Jan-25-04 20:18

After reading up on L-Glutamine.. It seems as if its almost needed if you lift and do atkins because it will prevent muscle breakdown? I guess I made a right choice for once :)

DarkLotus Sun, Jan-25-04 20:26

I swear by the stuff. Creatine too. Essentials for me.

Tapestry Sun, Jan-25-04 20:49

<<After reading up on L-Glutamine.. It seems as if its almost needed if you lift and do atkins because it will prevent muscle breakdown?>>

Could someone please tell me what this means? I lift weights -- kind of in the middle -- not light and not heavy and keep my carbs below 30 grams a day. I've been on Atkins for 6 months now...and lifting for 2 months. Am I breaking down my muscle?

Thanks for your help.

Karen

burm Sun, Jan-25-04 21:30

I dont think it means you are breaking down muscle. The suppliments (Gluta and Protein) just aid in the prevention of that in addition to helping add lean mucle mass.

red1cutie Mon, Jan-26-04 12:14

Hi Karen! You should take it (L-Glutamine) if you weightlift, regardless of whether you lift heavy or not. Make sure you buy the powder and not the capsules. Also make sure you're getting adequate protein at least 1g for every 1 pound of lean body mass, this will help you preserve your muscle too.

Hey Dark! :wave:

red

TXAimee Tue, Jan-27-04 15:49

Help!

I have just started taking L-Glutamine after a 3 month layoff (but not consistently). My legs have that tiredy sore feeling (tht make sense?). Should I keep taking it? I do the elliptical or treadmill 5-6 days a week and no matter how hard I train my legs have that tiredy sore feeling. I've tried stretching longer after my cardio & weight workouts, but it doesn't help. Do any of you have any other suggestions?

Trainerdan Tue, Jan-27-04 16:01

TX, you may be overtraining with that much cardio.

Do you take glutamine before bed?

TXAimee Tue, Jan-27-04 16:07

TrainerDan - When I take it, I usually take it with dinner. When should I take it? Is there a better time? My legs never felt like this when I was just watching my carbs (no bread, pasta, potatoes, etc.) Should I up my carbs? I'm still on Atkins induction.

Trainerdan Tue, Jan-27-04 16:13

Try taking another 5g before you go to bed. It will helps enhance the normal GH release you get during sleep and may improve your recovery.

I would say that it is time for you to add carbs if you are still on induction, but that is my opinion. During your leg workouts, maybe try drinking a sports drink like Gatorade.

DarkLotus Tue, Jan-27-04 16:15

I take glutamine in my post workout shake with some creatine, then again before bed. Possibly a magnesium/potassium deficiency? Is it leg cramps? Mine get achy and almost crampy when I forget to take my cal/mag supps. Upping your carbs isn't a bad aidea after the two week induction, add more veggies and see how you feel.