Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   I'm FREEZING! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=162015)

Sunslyte Sat, Jan-24-04 16:31

I'm FREEZING!

Has anyone else noticed that Low Carb seems to make you feel cold ALL the time?

I am usually the person that is turning the heat down because I'm too hot -- this winter I feel like I need to wear gloves and a parka at my desk at the office

The only bright spot in this is -- if this carries through to the summer, I'm going to be in heaven!

Aysiama Sat, Jan-24-04 16:34

I don't know.. but I've also noticed that I get very cold in the afternoons and no matter what I do, cannot get warm. I've only been doing it since I started low-carb.

rose7 Sat, Jan-24-04 16:37

Hi there, :p
I believe the coldness has to do with lack of carbs (or at times, lack of calories). I'm in maintenance now and I don't feel cold on high carb days. I read somewhere that scientific reasoning goes to the 'heat' from metabolizing carbohydrates? I could be wrong though.

Make sure to keep warm so you don't catch a cold! :p

cmcole Sat, Jan-24-04 20:05

Same here.
Last night, when I went to bed, I had to turn up the heat, and even then, I was really cold, and it took me a while to get warm.

I notice it occasionally at other times, too.

Usually at work I can go around with sleeveless tops on all winter - but this year it's been different. There have been times I've actually had to put on a sweater.

Maybe it's because I don't have so much insulating fat to keep me warm? :rolleyes:

pre3teach Sat, Jan-24-04 20:34

I am cold this winter...but I noticed that when I am ketoisi I have the opposite problem of being to hot and sweating. UGH. I think I would rather be alittle to cool than to hot. (And I live in Arkansas) :rolleyes:

TarHeel Sat, Jan-24-04 20:43

Ever since I went through menopause, I've been either too hot or too cold. Doesn't seem related to low carbing. I now have this 2 degree comfort zone....69 to 71 In the house.

Socks help. Put them on or take them off,

Kay

potatofree Sat, Jan-24-04 23:02

I'm freezing. Wait, that's because I'm in North Dakota!!! It's blizzard-ing again, and our daytime HIGHS next week won't get above zero......

potatofree Sat, Jan-24-04 23:03

:lol:

Feel warmer yet?

Aysiama Sun, Jan-25-04 07:15

LOL potatofree.. I am MUCH warmer knowing I am NOT in South Dakota. If I am this cold in south MS.. I couldn't make it in a blizzard!!!! hehehe

allibaba Sun, Jan-25-04 07:23

I too am cold especially in the afternoon. My feet get so cold they feel like ice cubes to me. DH says they don't feel cold to him though ?!?! I also was one to sweat all the time and always be HOT!!! OH well, I'll take it :)

Alli

IdahoSpud Sun, Jan-25-04 08:50

Yes inded. I'm much colder this winter than last. I don't know if that's due to the 50 lbs of insulation that is no longer there, or if it's due to operating at a much lower blood sugar level. Whatever it is, it really is chilling my extremities, even in this mild climate (we grow citrus here)

StarOrchid Sun, Jan-25-04 12:27

I've been feeling a lot colder since LCing also... especially my hands and feet. I just deal with it and figure I'm probably burning more calories by shivering. :)

LizSartre Sun, Jan-25-04 12:58

I am starting my LC diet tomorrow and I've never done one before. One thing I can say is that I've tried other diets that we're not LC and when I started to lose weight on all of them - I was FREEZING - ALL THE TIME! I don't really think it has anything to do with low carbs specifically, but maybe because when you're on any diet - you tend to eat healthier (ie: more vegetables, less potato chips) - maybe your blood is thinning. Not that I can provide any scientific evidence of that but it's sort of a strange phenomena. I've noticed the same thing happened to me while I was on The Zone and Weight Watchers.

doreen T Mon, Jan-26-04 00:21

Make sure you're well hydrated. The body requires adequate fluid to regulate temperature and get the blood flowing to the skin's surface. So drink up!

:idea:

Doreen

4beans4me Mon, Jan-26-04 09:42

Good tip about the hydration Doreen. Thank you!