Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   to Exercise Ball? or not? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=160056)

tlmarshall Fri, Jan-16-04 16:47

to Exercise Ball? or not?

Anyone have any experience using exercise balls for sitting on?

I have been hearing about them quite a bit but worry about me being on one and rolling off!

I know that they are very popular but wasn't sure if they are really for big people or not. I do have a bit of trouble with my back from time to time and am always looking for ways to strengthen my back.

nawchem Fri, Jan-16-04 17:00

I just got one. It came in a set at Barnes and Noble. It comes with a video with beginner exercises. It was rated by height so that the ball is the right size for your frame.

I felt so awkward at first and was sure I would pop it. Now I love sitting on it. When you do kind of a backbend you get a fantastic back stretch. I can also do quadricep exercises and crunches on it. For some reason I'll just start doing them while I'm watching tv because its fun with the ball.

mudknife Fri, Jan-16-04 17:05

I don't have any personal experience with them. I think they help with balance while doing ab work, or so I've heard from advertisements. I would be scared of rolling off and hurting myself or popping it. Being a guy from the old school I believe in the basic exercises and have never trained with nor have any of my training friends. However you are a girl and times are changing so some of the women in the general exercise section may be able to help you.

I would just say be careful while using it.

Here is a link to a thread in the General Excercise forum that talks about using a ball: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=159722

Sneaky2006 Fri, Jan-16-04 20:24

I have one and I love it! And I have never fallen off!
I do crunches with it, very easy to do but boy do you feel it! I do the back bend thing with it too, it supports my entire back and stretches it completely. I think mine said up to 350lbs. It seems really sturdy. Good luck.

got4girls Fri, Jan-16-04 21:55

I bought the medium sized one while pregnant to use as a labor ball, but the "labor" part never happened! lol (Ended up with a c/section). However, I used it like crazy during the last part of my pregnancy and I loved it. It's great on the back! I had horrible backpain and it really helped. I found that sitting on it while it was very easy, no problem at all.
I've just now included it in my exercising and I like it for that too.
I believe the medium one holds 350 lbs.

irisda Sat, Jan-17-04 11:12

I have a fitball that I have used only once. I bought it 2 weeks ago. It was so hard. I couldnt believe it. There was also the component of goodness me i hope i dont bust this plastic thing. But it held me up. Are there benefits to just sitting on the ball and watching tv? I think the ball should really be good for strengthening my back. I have a tendency to slump. I think its from carrying all this weight around and trying to (cover) myself. I need to seriously work on posture.

tlmarshall Sat, Jan-17-04 11:40

Yesterday on radio call in show they were discussing with a chiropractor the benefits of using an exercise ball as your primary chair at work!

Recommendation from chiropractor was to toss your office chair and use the ball. So don't just save it for scheduled exercise!

Apparently its the newest thing and you know how we are all such trend setters!!

I'll seek one out today and see if I can find one to hold me. Thanks all for the info....

odyssey Sat, Jan-17-04 12:08

i used one when going to physical therapy and i was at least what you weigh now so you shouldn't have any trouble. i never fell off either .. smiles

tlmarshall Sat, Jan-17-04 13:49

On a side note - I need to get somewhere and weigh myself just for curiousity sake. I was at the pool the other night and went with every intent on getting myself weighed but chickened out! There were too many people around who would see me - I've never been very good at public displays of my weight in numbers.......I need to get over that!

Bjuba Sat, Jan-17-04 15:06

Quote [I've never been very good at public displays of my weight in numbers.......I need to get over that! by tlmarshall]

I feel the same way - my husband does not even known how much I weigh. But we will both get over it - gauranteed -- as soon as we get nearer our goal weight! :) -- we will love to say I have lost xxxlbs or I weighed xxxlbs and now I am xxxlbs ---