Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Do I need to increase Carbs? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=157078)

mattad Mon, Jan-05-04 06:59

Do I need to increase Carbs?

Hey there... I've been in the iduction phase (less than 25 carbs daily) for about 5 months. I lost about 10 lbs (I only needed to lose that) and am at aprox 8% body fat. I want to get down to 4% body fat. I exercise daily with weights and cardio for a total of about one to two hours, however my body fat% has been consistent for the last 3 months. I have heard that adding carbs can help you lose fat. Because of my activity level if I drop below 2000 calories daily I go into "starvation" mode and get SO tired I cant move and end up GAINING weight! I have been in Ketosis for the last 6 weeks consistently. My percentages are:

Fat: 63-70% (aprox 150 grams +/- 10%)
Protein: 33-25% (aprox 150 grams +/- 10%)
Carbs: 4-5% (aprox 20 grams +/- 15%)

Also, with the introduction of carbs back into the diet, how high can we go (allowing that we only add 5 a week) I've heard its as high as 120 a day.

Weight is not the issue, its body composition.

Any ideas?

Rogue Mon, Jan-05-04 14:02

8%?!!!!!!!

How are you calculating this?

The recommended percentages are:
male - 15%
female - 22%

Athletes can go lower but not by much,.

I think your calculations are wrong and if they're not then I suggest you go see a doctor!

OHGal1415 Mon, Jan-05-04 14:28

I wish I knew the answer to that one. I finished my 1st BFL challenge, and while I dropped BF, I didn't much in the size dept! I was also doing the BFL eating, which increased my carb comsumption to about 80-100g a day. It didn't help, and if anything I felt MORE tired when my carb consumption got too high!

You might get more answers from Lyle McDonald's forum (on another website). Do a search for his name and look for his forum.

4beans4me Mon, Jan-05-04 15:29

8% body fat, trying for 4%?!? Yikes.

LadyBelle Mon, Jan-05-04 16:37

Try using www.mybodycomp.com Unless you are an extream body builder it is hard to belive you are already at 8% and shooting for 4%. That sounds like it's verging on dangerous.

mattad Mon, Jan-05-04 18:07

Ya I know... need to get the rock hard abs. 8% still leaves a very small layer of fat that I need for the camer (its my job)

Feel great... just need to achieve my last goal.

thanks for the replys

Matt

LadyBelle Mon, Jan-05-04 21:08

Have you ever tried Body for Life?

It is an intense workout program that really well help to lower body fat. You can either follow thier nutritional plan which is low fat high carb, or some follow a low carb plan while using the workout and meal schedules. Combine that with the ab bootcamp and you will see and feel differences.

You might also look into the Zone diet. Apperently it is used by athletes alot. It combines 40% carbs, 30% protien and 30% fat.

What ever you choose to push your body fat that low and get great definition youwill have to follow a strict nutritional plan as well as a strict workout regiment. You might look at getting a trainer, though sometimes those can be more a pain then help.