Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   For those closer to goal... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=154885)

mel92 Sun, Dec-21-03 07:51

For those closer to goal...

Hi! I have 18lbs left to lose with 52 already gone, and was wondering, does your weight loss slow down a lot the closer you get to goal? I am just asking because lately, my loss has slowed from about 2-3lbs a week to 1-2lbs every other week. Is this normal? Should I just keep doing what I've been doing or re-induct? I haven't changed my eating habits, but have been a little emotionally stressed out with the holidays et.al. What do you think? I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
:)melissa

Alina Sun, Dec-21-03 07:57

Hi,

first of all - your progress is amazing and you should be proud! :)
Yes, the weight loss does slow down, different for different people but this happens to everyone. It's healthy and normal.....we can't make out bodies lose in the speed we choose.....
Personally I've been losing 2 lbs every 8-12 weeks lately.........no 'cheating' and no changes in the diet at all. I'm OK with that.
Keep doing what you are doing, add more exercise if possible....and tell yourself this is a long-time thing......you will reach your goal for sure!

Good luck to you!

Alina

Kristine Sun, Dec-21-03 09:36

Yes - in fact, it might stop completely. :daze: It depends on your body and how you're eating, but I've stopped short of my goal because I eat a little too much of the stuff that would make the difference: cheese, coffee, nuts, booze... and I don't exercise enough. :blush:

1-2 lbs every other week is still a good rate of weight loss. :thup: A slow loss is still a loss, so whatever you're doing now, keep doing it. :cool:

mel92 Sun, Dec-21-03 12:53

Thanks so much for your replies! I just want to make sure this is a normal process. I definately don't want to screw anything up as I have worked very hard to get to this point. I was beginning to feel depressed because the loss has slowed down, but now I see it's all a part of the Atkins WOL.

Thanks again!!!
:)melissa

Lori H Sun, Dec-21-03 19:54

I agree that is it completely normal for your weight loss to slow. I lost around 50 pounds the first two or three months I was on the diet and then it took me 4 months to lose the next 20. I still think that is awesome but you can see the rate of loss definitely slowed some. No telling how much longer it wil take me to get the last few off but I am commited to this WOL and I'm in it for the long haul.

fishfish Sun, Dec-21-03 23:48

The weight loss definitely slows as you get closer to goal. That's the bad news. The good news is that as you get close to goal, each pound is more meaningful; each pound is a higher percentage of your total weight as your weight gets lower, and each pound is a higher percentage of the total weight you have to lose as this number goes down. Sometimes it sure does seem slooowwww.

Hey Alina: Long time no speak. Looking at your stats; congratulations, great job.

LadyBelle Sun, Dec-21-03 23:57

Someone has poted many times how on Atkins you lose 10% of the weight you need to in induction, then 5% each month after.

So 5% of 18 is a heck of alot less then 5% of 70. Remember too even when you get to goal weight it takes a while for the fat to even out, so you end up with thin areas and chubby areas.

Slow weight loss isn't a bad thing. Slower means it's more likely to stay off. You learn better eating habits for the long run hopefully (unless the reason for slow loss is bad habits of course), and there is less loose skin or stretch marks.

Jannie Mon, Dec-22-03 12:05

Slower is definitely good, as your body and mind should prepare for the maintenance plase. That requires a bit of shifting of gears.

Congrats on your loss! :yay: :yay: :yay: