Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Canada (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   new places to get good products, Victoria area (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=154320)

IslandGirl Tue, Dec-16-03 19:24

new places to get good products, Victoria area

• Healthy Way Carb Conscious bread, 5g total carbs (after fiber) per 23g slice, sprouted whole wheat...pretty darn good-looking product. Rumoured to be produced by Olafsen's tho I couldn't find the name on the bag. Spotted at the Saanich Save-on store ($3.99 for a 454G loaf), Greater Victoria. There's a McGavin's Bread Basket at the corner of Blanshard and Bay, and they're supposed to have it, when in stock, for $1.99 but I didn't get a chance to verify it today.
  • DaVinci Gourmet Sugarfree flavour syrups, big 750mL bottle, now at Royal Vitamins, located at the Save-on plaza on high Blanshard/Vernon, at the 'north' end a couple of doors down from the Tim Horton's. Can't miss it. Competitively priced, and the flavours on hand: B-52, Dulce De Leche, Egg Nog, French Vanilla, German Chocolate Cake, Gingerbread, Peanut Butter, Strawberry, White Chocolate, and of course Pancake(Maple).
  • Ferrando Bread & Bake Mix (now has MCT Oil and up to 800g) and Complete Pancake & Muffin Mix -- both with free recipes, also spotted at Royal Vitamins.

nil Thu, Dec-18-03 16:45

Just visited the Market on Yates today and was amazed by the amount of low-carb stuff they carry now.

I bought La Tortilla tortillas (several flavours to choose from).

CarbSense 0-gram baking mix (they also had biscuit mix, flavoured pancake mixes and muffin mix from the same company).

Oscar's Caramel syrup sweetened with splenda. Besides the caramel they had french vanilla and hazelnut. They also carry Steel's syrups and I've had the vanilla and creme de cacao.

Healthy Way carb conscious multigrain loaf was selling for $2.99 so even though I don't miss bread I though I'd try it out. Better texture than Bond Bonds' but more carbs. Makes a very good grilled cheese - and I'll use some of it to stuff the holiday bird.

CarbSense also makes soy tortilla chips. Expensive at $5.69/154g bag and not very low - 8g net for 15 chips but DH will be delighted to get them as a Christmas present. I also bought just for him a Carborite shortbread cookie (they also had peanut butter flavour). The packaging claims one 30g cookie has 3g net carbs.

My favorite products have to be the Jok'n'Al sauces. I grew up with applesauce as a condiment to pork and was really missing it. Their applesauce is 2g carb/tablespoon - but I can live with a tablespoon alongside my chops just as long as I can get that ol' flavour. I just bought their cranberry sauce (again 2g/tablespoon) but haven't tasted it yet.

Right, I'm rambling - other l-c products spotted:
ketchup, barbeque sauce, sweet 'n' sour sauce, peanut sauce, caramel sauce, fudge sauce, ross chocolates, hot cereal mix, atkins muffin mix, flavoured pork puffs, little bags of fudgy soft-cookies and granola. I also bought two of my favorites that are not marketed as low-carb: almond butter and Jersey Farms brand devon cream, yum.

enuf from me,
nilly

Archie Fri, Dec-19-03 10:12

Thanks for this post! I'm thrilled to be able to get La Tortilla locally! I will be checking it out ASAP!

Archie Fri, Dec-19-03 10:15

Also I should add that Planet Organic at Saanich Mall has a new low carb bread called Lyndies Organic Low Carb Bread as well as Bond Bonds Low Carb Bread. Lyndies is only $4.99 a loaf (did I really say ONLY!) and Bond Bonds has come down a couple of bucks but I like the Lyndies best. It doesn't come sliced but it slices, toast and tastes very good!

nil Fri, Dec-19-03 11:47

The tortillas are in a cooler between the deli department and the dairy shelves at the back of the store. I like the garlic and herb flavour best.

Glad I could help.

IslandGirl Fri, Dec-19-03 12:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie
Thanks for this post! I'm thrilled to be able to get La Tortilla locally! I will be checking it out ASAP!

Lifestyle Markets has had the LaTortilla(s) for quite a long time, a year? Check the freezer section...

Archie Sat, Dec-20-03 09:47

Thanks! Made a trip to Market on Yates last night on the way home and had La Tortillas with ground beef, etc for supper. Also picked up some hazelnut syrup (Steels not Davinci) and some white Ross bars (the best). They charge more for the Ross bars there though than anybody else even Thriftys.
Thanks for the tip on Lifestyles & La Tortillas. Wish I had known sooner . I haven't been going into Lifestyles lately as the inventory was dwindling rapidly the last few time I was in almost like they were having troubles or going out of business (this is the one on Douglas St).