Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Not my beloved Coke!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=154220)

pjo1966 Tue, Dec-16-03 10:23

Not my beloved Coke!!

I've been really good avoiding Coke for the past 10 weeks. I only used to have it on weekends, but I always loved the taste. My friend would tell me that there's as much sugar in a candy bar and I would tell him I'd rather have a Coke. I had a sip of my SO's Coke this weekend and it tasted NASTY! I was crushed. It tasted to me like Pepsi has always tasted... like carbonated cough syrup. I know I'm better off not liking the taste now... but I used to enjoy it so much that I was looking forward to it as a rare treat every now and then. Now that joy is lost to me. I'm very disappointed.

Hilary M Tue, Dec-16-03 10:35

Try not to be disappointed...this is a good thing! It means your body is being conditioned not to enjoy those super-sweet, sugar-laden items anymore.

Even Diet Coke, which I used to hate, tastes really sweet to me now. I can't imagine how a regular Coke would taste (I always thought it was sweeter than Pepsi anyway!)

adkpam Tue, Dec-16-03 13:04

Shucks, if that's the most you have to worry about, you are doing very well. Trust me, there's going to be low carb food that tastes much better, that you can have whenever you want. That's the beauty of having your tastes change.
And isn't the new body a source of pleasure much greater than the taste of Coke? I sure hope so!

pjo1966 Tue, Dec-16-03 13:12

Don't get me wrong... I'm VERY happy with the new body. I hit my first goal last Friday by wearing my size 31 jeans to work. I just want a Coke to celebrate!

LadyBelle Tue, Dec-16-03 13:42

Get diet rite. It tastes like a normal (non diet) ganeric cola. Be glad your taste buds have changed. Now you won't be tempted to cheat :)

Coke is terrible for you. Not only the sugar, but the caffine, carmel color, and carbination. I just wish I could get SO to give up his mt. dew addiction. He belives me the things are terrible for him, he just doesn't care.

eric909 Tue, Dec-16-03 13:54

I second the Diet rite recommendation it taste great and it uses splenda as the sweetener.

MamaSara6 Tue, Dec-16-03 14:25

:agree: I hear ya, Pjo! I used to adore my coca-cola! Especially a fountain coke with crushed ice! :yum: And once in a while, a fountain VANILLA coke! :yum:

For a while, I was sad, yes, even crushed, that it tasted yucky. Now I'm over it. You'll move on too, eventually. Maybe a taste here and there to confirm that it still tastes nasty.

I always hated diet sodas--especially w/ aspartame. Now, I drink the occasional diet vanilla coke, or diet coke w/ lemon. I have to have the added flavor to help disguise the aspartame. But, it is good to know that I've been able to survive w/o coke! :wiggle:

pjo1966 Tue, Dec-16-03 14:40

I'm with you on the fountain Coke. Add a dash of chocolate syrup and you have heaven!

doogieb Tue, Dec-16-03 16:16

I've always thought Coke tasted horrible - I used to drink Pepsi Max loads but haven't for years.

I wonder if Coke tastes great to me now ? I think I'll give it a miss though ;)

LadyBelle Tue, Dec-16-03 16:24

You know DaVincci makes a cola flavored syrup you can use to make your own fountain colas....

Sugar free, splenda sweetened and made to taste...

Rachelle Tue, Dec-16-03 16:33

I love all of the Diet Rite flavors...
And Diet Coke isn't bad... but i only have it as a mixer for my Captain Morgan Rum.. hehe :lol:

I like that my tastes have changed... cuz it's a blessing in disguise! :)

Now if anyone can come up w/ something that tastes like orange juice.. w/ pulp.. i'd be your slave!!

LadyBelle Tue, Dec-16-03 18:46

KETO has an orange juice. Idon't know if it' slike real orange juice or just orange koolaid, I've never tried it. Tropicana is supsoed to ocme out with a reduced sugar one. It's still fairly high carb though.

The Diet V8 splashes are low carb, but high GI. Maybe ok for later OWL. Great dose of pottasium though.

Wenzday Tue, Dec-16-03 20:38

ha ha I tasted it a few weeks ago and was VERY sad at how good it still was...lolol oh well! ;)

rishamoon Tue, Dec-16-03 21:13

If you are a root beer person at all, I think Diet A&W tastes just as good if not better than regular! Other than it and Diet Squirt, I stick with Diet Rite (I like the white grape myself)... I've had diet coke as I used to be a coke drinker myself, but it just isn't the same, not even from a fountain (I was the queen of fountain cokes!)

downscale Tue, Dec-16-03 23:49

All these well-meaning but naive suggestions indicate that you people don't understand the first thing about a committed Coke drinker. It is Coke or nothing! I even avoided ice cubes in my Coke because they diluted it. After 50 years of something, you miss it when it's gone. (Are any of you old enough to remember the New Coke fiasco -- I went ballistic!!) I drink water now, but I miss The Real Thing!