Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   WHY I can not loose any weight? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=153688)

loisrbowes Fri, Dec-12-03 08:03

WHY I can not loose any weight?

Question:
Been on Aktins for over 1 1/2 months. Am type 2 diabletic. Am taking Atkins
vitamins, enough fliuds.

Eating as stage 1, for example:
Breakfast - 1 can shrimp & 1 can crabmeat w/3 tablespoons light mayo
Lunch - 6 roasted chicken legs
Dinner - 5 kosher hot dogs & 1 aktins icecream bar
That is IT for the typical day.

I do not CHEAT! I do not wavier.

SO?
What gives? I am full. If I eat MORE I will be too full and uncomfortable.

I am also exercisng at least 3 days a week 1 hr on the bike.

44 yrs old, female.

Next choice? I am 194 and want to be 150. I am a FIRM 194 but
still have my gut.

Suggestions???? Alternatives???

Husband has lost is 220 from 410. IS very mad that I am NOT.

SarahWeb Fri, Dec-12-03 08:06

um am I missing something but you are eating NO VEGGIES at all? Atkins does suggest you get your carbs from veg...

HogarthNH Fri, Dec-12-03 08:31

Lois,

Seeing that you're eating Light Mayo makes me think that you've not actually read How To Do Atkins.

Light Mayo is reduced in fat. They increase the sugar to make up for the taste reduction.

Do yourself a favor -- get a copy of Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution. It's under $7, and will tell you everything you need to know.

H

mel92 Fri, Dec-12-03 08:37

#1. Light Mayo defeats the purpose of increasing your fat intake while lowering your carb intake. Go for the full fat regular mayo.

#2. I would stay away from processed meats (i.e. hotdogs), some can contain fillers and sugars that can cause stalling, have you read the carb and ingredient content on the package?

#3. Also might be a good idea to stay away from pre-packaged food, especially sweets, even though they are locarb, they can also stall weightloss due to sensitivity to sugar alcohols.

The best advice I can give is to eat unprocessed unpackaged food, i.e. meat, poultry, fish, veggies, and fats such as butter and olive oil. If you really need a treat for your sweet tooth, limit them to 1 treat a week or every other week. As for your husband, men lose weight quicker than women do and you cannot compare your weightloss with anyone else's. Each person loses at a different speed.

:)melissa

loisrbowes Fri, Dec-12-03 08:47

More info on NOT loosing weight

1. I have NO sweets since I'm diabetic of ANY kind
2. I have SOME green veggies like celery but not every day
3. I eat Kosher hot dogs - all beef, 1 carb per dog
4. I ONLY have 3 tablespoons of light mayo - it has 1 carb per tablespoon
5. I have 3 Atkins books that I have read
6. I only use x virgin olive oil to cook with
7. I bake all my meats without any breading whatsoever

I MIGHT have 12-15 carbs a day MAX - I think of it as $$
and try to keep my sugar THAT low too (zero is not obtainable!)

My sugar level is fairly steady and in the low 100's

I read EACH and every pkg in the store.

I just do not get it!

potatofree Fri, Dec-12-03 08:52

Oh, dear.. you really need your veggies! Not only won't you lose, but you'll get incredibly constipated eventually...

I agree about the hotdogs and other processed foods. It really hurts the cause to depend on them, since they are full of sodium and other things that'll make it harder to see the number on the scale go down. They're ok in moderation, but the canned seafood in the morning, and all those hotdogs in the evening are probably making you retain water.

I used to be a bacon-a-holic, eating it several TIMES a day... once I cut it down to even once a day, my loss picked up.

Hang in there, we'll help you find a way that works for you!

Sinbad Fri, Dec-12-03 08:52

You need to get green and salad veggies EVERY day!
And seriously, switch off the light mayo. Real, fullfat stuff just tastes so much better anyway.
How much is "sufficient" fluids, and what are they?

judyr Fri, Dec-12-03 08:56

How is your water intake. That is the biggest difference for me. Also, you might want to increase your activity level. Are you on medication for your diabets? Those can really make you hold onto weight.

LadyBelle Fri, Dec-12-03 08:59

You have lost 26 pounds in 6 weeks. That is not slow weight loss. Typicaly you can expect to lose 10% of what you need to in induction and 5% each month after. This is not a crash diet, rather a way to slowly and healthily lose weight, and you are already ahead of the game. Yes your husband has lost more, but he also had alot more to lose.

Kosher hotdogs, even all beef are still highly processed and contain things that aren't great such as salt, nitrates, and possibly sugar. Most I see read 1g carb, if it was really just beef in there it would be carb free.

You need to eat veggies every day, and celery isn't enough. You need 2-3 cups of salad greens as well as 1 cup from the acceptable foods list.

Light Mayo is still full of things, regardless of how few carbs per table spoon it has. Atkins is a high fat diet, you need fat. On induction 70% of calories comes form fat. It is also extreamly important to look at what kind of carbs your having.

Most of your carbs should be coming from veggies. They have a low glycemic index, meaning they don't flood your blood stream with gluclose and cause a sharp insulin response. They also have a high level of nutrients for their small amount of carbs.

X virgin olive oil is good, but so is all othger kinds of oils and fats as long as they aren't hydroginated transfats. Have butter, olive oil, safflower oil, almond oil, what ever suits you.

What you might try doing is looking into Dr. Bernstiens book. He is a type 1 diabetic and his plan is specificaly geared tword that.

Men lose faster then women, they don't have that wonderful estrogen efect. At 44 you also may have hormonal fluctiation, even if menopause is many years away. The body also settles at a higher weight in your 40's then it did in 30's and 20's.

If you want to tone up, especially the gut region, then don't focus as much on weight. Many times what happens with just losing weight is the rest of the body gets slimmer, making the tummy look larger by comparison. Start strength training with weights. Get a pilates tape to start strengthening that region. Biking is great for cardio and fat burning, but you also need to tone, firm, and build lean mass.

potatofree Fri, Dec-12-03 09:00

Ohh, Ohh!! (Raising hand like a wild fourth-grader) Pick me...pick me....

Another question... I see you mentioned "stage one". Which edition of the book are you using? The older books refer to induction as "stage one" and don't have the kind of information the newer ones have...

RodeRash Fri, Dec-12-03 09:15

Check your calories. Yes, they are important. You should be eating around 2200 per day, and your typical daily meal (as posted) is around 3200.

xtena Fri, Dec-12-03 10:23

'1. I have NO sweets since I'm diabetic of ANY kind'

You listed an Atkins ice cream bar...even artificial sweeteners can trigger insulin release and weight gain in sensitive individuals. Try cutting out all artificial sweeteners for a few days.

You could also be getting too much protein (6 chicken legs in one meal???) , and too little fat. Many Atkins dieters have achieved their best weight loss rate by keeping their caloric intake at about 70% fat.

As others have pointed out, you really should eat at least three cups of low carb veggies a day. Go for dark green leafy greens, cauliflower, mushrooms, etc. instead of celery or iceberg lettuce, which do have fiber but very few micronutrients.

downscale Fri, Dec-12-03 12:34

I agree with RodeRash -- check your calories! 5 hot dogs??!!! Your portions are way too big.

bcadieux Fri, Dec-12-03 13:03

I agree with everything everyone has said. Very good advice. I only have to add about exercise. Do get a good pilates dvd or video. It works specifically on the abs and what's called the core. I'm 63 and was way out of shape do to neck injury last year that lasted a year. I did 2 pilates lessons and got so sore I knew it was doing me some good. I then bought the dvd and have done it at home every other day for about 2 months now and my abs are shrinking to "not there" size. Not washboard or anything but I can tuck in my shirt and wear a belt with no bulges!

windy Fri, Dec-12-03 13:10

I agree you need to read the new Atkins book and let go of the low fat mayo, more lots more veggies,and you need lots of water. It really does help. Exercise is important also.

Linda