Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Emotional Issues & Body Image (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Anti-Anxiety/Anti-Depressant and LC (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=153525)

gawdess Thu, Dec-11-03 09:16

Anti-Anxiety/Anti-Depressant and LC

Hello,

I am considering going on one of these pills for awhile to help keep my nerves in check while I quit smoking. I have done this before but I was not low carbing. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experiences Lcing and taking this type of pill. Does it effect the diet? Do any work better than others with the WOL?

Thanks for you help,

cs_carver Thu, Dec-11-03 12:40

Haven't tried it

However, I am MUCH more stable on this WOE than I was on high carb.

Good luck.

I wouldn't worry about the weight for now--one thing at a time. Get stable off cigarettes and then work on losing. You'll gain less on LC while you quit, though.

DLC Thu, Dec-11-03 12:43

Hi there, have yu considered Zyban? Its an antidepressant as well as a stoping smoking aid. From what I hear, it has pretty good sucess! Good luck, with the stopping. :yay: Your family will love you for it. Well... maybe not at first when your really really crabby

gawdess Thu, Dec-11-03 14:58

I tried Zyban but I get really really sick from it....

Ruby J. Sat, Dec-13-03 10:20

Anti-Anxiety and Anti-Depressants and LC

This is my second round on Atkins -- did it four years ago, after a breast biopsy made me think it was time to get trim, and lower my risk of breast cancer. I was on HRT as well as Paxil/Seroxat (USA/UK) both of which Dr. A says are bad for weight loss. But in 8 months I lost 28 pounds, felt much less derpessed, and had a clean mammogram.... Paxil/Seroxat is known to lessen your appetite. I gained the weight back, but that was because my mother died this year, and I went home to New York to care for my father and ate my way into despair. Now I am back in London, starting again (though I did eat some marrons glaces today-- uh-oh), and again, on HRT and Paxil/Seroxat. SO I would say, do what is needed to get your mind and confidence going, and you will be able to lose the weight.... I am going to!!
Ruby J.

Kindle Fri, Jan-30-04 12:36

This is something I'm going to be monitoring closely. I take both an antianxiety (Paxil) and an antidepressant (Wellbutrin aka Zyban). Both have the fun side effects of retaining weight for some people but they can cause other people to lose weight.

Here's hopin'! :) And good luck- I was really resistant to the idea of anti's, but now I hate my life without them. :p It's amazing. Quitting smoking will make you feel so much better about yourself- and honestly, getting something to help is a really good idea!!!

pd Rydia Sat, Jan-31-04 17:05

I mas on 20 mg of Lexapro, and at least on induction, I was still losing weight. I'm off it now because it was making my hypomanic with the diet., but I'm still fiddling around with my diet to break a stall, so I don't know if coming off is doing any help for my weight loss.