Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   gum? chinese food? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=150910)

mezo Tue, Nov-25-03 09:56

gum? chinese food?

Hey, i recently started doing the atkins diet again, this time with a friend. we were talking the other night, basically looking for quick things we can get for either snacks or take out or whatever (i live in the bronx and am surrounded by some of the best take out food). we were wondering, does anyone know of any sugar free gum that would be ok to have, either during induction or after?

also, we were looking at the menus from some of the local take out places. the chinese food place had a diet section, geared for weight watchers. if i remember correctly, the two things they listed that caught my eye were the mixed vegetables and the garlic chicken. im assuming the mixed vegetables wouldnt really work, since im sure it has baby corn and snow peas and those starchy white discs that i still have no idea what they are. but, does anyone know the carb count for something like those dishes? is there any takeout chinese food that is allowed on this diet?

thanks for any help and input.

Matt.

Kathy54 Tue, Nov-25-03 11:04

The Gum, no problem :thup:

Chinese food, can be a real problem, mostly because, it's almost impossible to get any with out sugar, hidden or not, LOL

We have some great Ch. Rest, here and I called them all ,they all use sugar in almost all dishes, and cornstarch is the other hidden item.

Kathy

MURPHY Tue, Nov-25-03 11:31

ORBIT GUM MADE BY WRIGLEY'S IS OKAY IT HAS 1G OF CARB WITH 1G OF SUGAR ALCOHOLS SO THEY ARE FREE. :yay:

DAWNA

JohnP Tue, Nov-25-03 11:40

A local Chinese restaurant (local being Spartanburg, SC) has a section called the Mongolian Bar where you select your meat, (pork, chicken, beef), vegetables, and sauces and they cook it on a large surface while you watch. That way you can be sure what goes on your plate.

I still miss the rice but at least when the gang from work goes Chinese, I can get some very good low carb food.

Johnie

kevins7189 Tue, Nov-25-03 11:51

I love mongolian, the only thing you have to be careful of is the sauces... almost all the sauces have sugar and cornstarch, and some have wine. I stick with garlic and pepper sauce, and make sure when they cook it they don't add anything to it (couple around here fry it up with teryaki).

MyJourney Tue, Nov-25-03 14:36

takeout chinese on the diet menu should be okay if its steamed meat and veggies. At least my chinese place steams meat and veggies with no sauce.

you can always request them without peapods babycorn and waterchestnuts (starchy white disks)

Like steamed chicken and broccoli off the diet menu is great.

The problem is it severely lacks in flavor and personally I would rather make my own chicken and broccoli.

Also if you drive into westchester there is a great low carb store on tuckahoe rd right near the library called Sugar Free Express they have everything LC and then some! Lots of options there for snacks etc. A bit pricey but its either that or pay for shipping so it evens out some.

lkonzelman Tue, Nov-25-03 14:40

I like to get egg foo youngs. All ingredients are good (of course no rice or gravy). I just add some hot chili oil and soy sauce...

Angel66668 Fri, Nov-28-03 10:13

Yes you should chew gum after eating chinese food.

MixaDrinks Fri, Nov-28-03 21:15

Heya Mezo.. This is more a comment on finding another Bronx person on these forums. Good to see you :) If you had a jornal I'd stop by to say hi, but i couldnt find one for you.

And yes, we do have some great fast food.. hard to give some of it up... But think of it.. We have so many Italian deli's.. Can you say Fresh Home Made Mozarella???? yum!

LilaCotton Fri, Nov-28-03 22:57

Chinese food is something we do occasionally, but are careful with it. Watch the egg drop soup. If it's not thickened, it's great! If it's thickened, well, not so great. Our favorite has a buffet with plenty of LC choices, from veggies to meat from which we remove the breading.

As for gum, I like Wrigley's Eclipse because it's super-flavored and one piece stays flavorful for hours. :)

cathafer46 Sun, Nov-30-03 10:22

hi you guys...i am from LI so not too far from you :) a lot of chinese food places will make it with no sugar/cornstarch if you ask them to..i had asked them to do that with the sliced pork and it was great!