Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Who Misses carbs? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=150853)

Petey Tue, Nov-25-03 05:34

Who Misses carbs?

ok, I just wanted to see who really misses carbs and who doesnt. and how it affects your lifestyle.

I started lowcarbing in june 2003 and dont miss the carbs at all. Me always being addicted to meat am favorable of this lowcarb lifestyle. It's the meats I cant do with out.

:Party:

fitznoski Tue, Nov-25-03 07:24

Don't care for meat much although I'm eating more on this woe. Love my carbs but most of them come in the green variety now. Loads of veggies but also dairy - cream, cheese, sour cream.

Don't miss the white stuff (pasta, bread, potatoes) at all.

MyJourney Tue, Nov-25-03 07:29

I thought I would miss them bad but I really dont. Once in a while I have sweet cravings but splenda will work for those (I try not to give in at all though and get back into bad habits)

I actually have not even had the urge to try the LC pasta or bread even. I am perfectly happy without it. I am sure one day I will try it, but for now I dont miss want or need that in me.

Alina Tue, Nov-25-03 07:39

I'm with you - don't miss heavy carb foods........

Good luck everyone!

Alina

LadyBelle Tue, Nov-25-03 08:26

I don't miss most of the foods. There are so many LC alternatives I can make without the overpowering sweetness or nasty aftertaste many sweeter things have these days.

What I do miss is being able to try something new such as a new pie in resteraunt, or a new recipe found. Sometimes the recipes can be altered to be LC, but in a resteraunt your just stuck.

I am going to try Ruby Tuesday today though :) Yes I know about the hidden sugars and so on, so I am going in educated. But for once I would like to be able to order a full meal at a resteraunt instead of just part, and enjoy dessert like all the other diners around me.

katwoman Tue, Nov-25-03 08:46

I don't miss them very often.

adkpam Tue, Nov-25-03 09:21

I'm surprised at how little I miss them! I don't even want the LC alternatives.

cc48510 Tue, Nov-25-03 09:41

I don't miss refined carbs...I do occassionally miss Potatoes, Peas, Fruit, and Whole Grains...But, I also eat them [except Bananas] on occassion in small amounts. I haven't really craved Soda, Cake, or Sugary Candy since my first month on Atkins. As for breads, I miss certain breads, but I'm happy with having the Whole Grain [or even LC Versions as an occassional treat.

AzureMoon Tue, Nov-25-03 09:53

I miss carbs the same way I miss cigarettes - it's a knee-jerk reaction to situations. When the real desire is examined, it's doesn't really exist.

So, do I miss carbs? No, not at all.

(p.s. I smoked for 30 years and quit Sept 15, 2002 with nary a slip-up since.)

Meadow_001 Tue, Nov-25-03 11:17

I was having a real craving for potatoes for awhile but I tried making a pot roast with turnips instead and it worked great! Took care of that craving. :)

bigguyjonc Tue, Nov-25-03 16:32

for the most part i don't. i did cheat pretty bad yesterday and ate some cookies. this is the first time i had done this in a long time and i am not tempted to do it again.

Jon

Kristine Tue, Nov-25-03 17:16

I don't miss bread and pasta, for the most part. We all know that the good part of that is the butter, sauces, etc - and I can put that on vegetables. :cool: I do miss sweet things sometimes, but sort of in the way you'd miss an old job or old place you used to live - you miss the good parts, but you're not including the BS you had to put up with. The sweets certainly aren't worth feeling like crap again.

Nebula Tue, Nov-25-03 17:17

I hardly think about carbs or carb-laden foods. The other day I had a psychological craving for pizza which I squished, but for the most part I don't put much thought into food anymore. This is a nice change from 2 months ago where every waking moment of my day was spent thinking up my next secret binge.

Lisa N Tue, Nov-25-03 17:29

Most of the time I don't miss them at all. I the "missing" part comes in when I see something high carb that looks good to me or I see someone else eating it; otherwise I really don't think about them or crave them. So...out of sight, out of mind.

shortstuff Tue, Nov-25-03 17:57

I don't miss them at all. Today would have been the breaker (I haven't cheated once since starting on Aug. 18, 2003). I had an asthma attack and the doc (bless his little heart) prescribed Prednisone for 5 days with a shock dose today. Well, waiting for the pharmacy to fill my script I had to sit and smell the Girardi chocolates they had marked 3/$1. Now Girardi's aren't my favorite, but they run a close second to Godivas. Truthfully, the smell almost made me nauseous. No, I haven't started the salt binging prednisone usually causes in me (you know, greasy salty chips with bacon/onion dip). I've just increased my water intake and I'm just going about my low carb way of life as usual.

I think another real test is going to be when my brother sends my favorite cookies from Aachen, Germany. They have a specialty cookie they only produce at Christmas - and I swear they are addictive. The folks at work are going to have a new treat on the table this year. I've sworn to myself I'm not eating ANY of them.

shortstuff