Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Too much salad? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=149226)

Serrecko25 Sun, Nov-16-03 15:49

Too much salad?

Can you eat too much salad during Induction?

I just had a romaine, raddicco, edive, ham, egg, cheese salad that was around...er.... I would say 4 cups total.

I made a little salad dressing with oil and vinegar and well.... now I am actually dizzy.

But can one eat too much salad?

Here is my fitday link for the day.... can someone tell me if I am on track with this thing?

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...wner=Serrecko25

thanks
Max

Quest Sun, Nov-16-03 16:25

The limit for salad on induction is 3 cups a day if you don't eat any other veggies, or 2 cups of salad plus one cup of allowed veg.

Karen Sun, Nov-16-03 16:45

It's pretty hard to eat too much salad. I looked at your fitday and I think you could be eating even more vegetables.

Did you know that you you have to subract the fiber grams from the carb grams on fitday to get the effective carb count?

You might like to fool around with a scale and weigh salads and vegetables. It's amazing to see when not using a subjective measurement like a cup, how low in carbs most low-carb vegetables actually are.
Quote:
now I am actually dizzy.
Are you really dizzy or dizzy from excitement? :) You may need to take Cal/Mag and Potassium supplements. Or, you can get quite a lot of these minerals from dark leafy greens, avocados, almonds and canned sockeye salmon.

Karen

Serrecko25 Sun, Nov-16-03 17:07

According to the book I am limited on the veggies, which I would rather eat to be honest.

So I am just trying to stay with the induction thing as close as I can.........

Max

Karen Sun, Nov-16-03 17:33

Quote:
According to the book I am limited on the veggies, which I would rather eat to be honest.
You're limited to 20 grams a day on Induction which includes the carbs in everything. Atkins gave the guidelines of cup measurement because included in those vegetables are carbier ones like Brussels sprouts, pumpkin, tomato and eggplant. You're not doing anything wrong as long as you eat from the Induction list and count all the carbs. Starting to low-carb is a huge learning curve so the guidelines keep you safe while you're learning to count carbs as well as dealing with all the new and wacky things that low-carbing brings into your life. :daze:

What I was trying to say about weighing is the carb count when you weigh salad is really quite small compared to using cups. Four cups of mixed greens when weighed is around 3 grams of net carbs.

Karen

kay3osu Sun, Nov-16-03 18:00

hi Max,
what about water? you should be dinking ALOT more than what you have listed. and even more since you drink coffee which is a major diuretic...

Serrecko25 Mon, Nov-17-03 11:39

Ya know, I always forget to put in the amount of water I have been drinking. Take for instance today, I have so far only had 24 ounces. But I am totally thirsty ALL of the time. Normally by the time I get home, I have had 72 ounces and before I go to bed I have had another 120 ounces. And that is a NORMAL day for me. Somewhere near 200 ounces of water a day.

Explain that coffee thing. You mean it sucks water out of my system?

Max

kyrasdad Mon, Nov-17-03 16:41

I eat as much salad as I want to and see no ill effects. Good garden salads with romaine, cucumber, celery, and sometimes a few tomatoes, a bit of brocolli, or mushrooms.

Even in induction, I refused to measure out salad by the cup, and got very good weight loss. I don't sweat that kind of stuff - it seems to not affect me to go over on carbs from veggies.

Serrecko25 Mon, Nov-17-03 17:17

Well now.... I will eat salad like there is no tomorrow.

I am trying to keep the carbs below 20 regardless of how I get them....and I think I am doing a good job. With salad.... this is easy.

Meat, eggs, cheese, salad? Wish sex was this much fun.

Max