Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   clothing sizes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=149050)

rrmalns Sat, Nov-15-03 07:44

clothing sizes

Doesnt 10 lbs equal a size? It seems like when I drop 10, I also drop a size! Is this always the case?
Renee

sunspine17 Sat, Nov-15-03 08:11

I think that applies the closer to your normal weight that you are. I've lost 37 lbs and only went down about 1 and a half sizes-- go figure! But I started out much heavier than you so I'm thinking that's why.

med234 Sat, Nov-15-03 08:20

I've lost 13lbs and haven't gone down a size yet. No-one has noticed either, and it's not that I am huge!

med

rrmalns Sat, Nov-15-03 08:30

Ive actually been on the diet off and on since October 2002. I started at 167 and I was wearing 14's. I can still wear some 12's but am wearing alot of the 10's I wore before I was pregnant with my son. Im hoping when I make it to 140 Ill be able to wear some 8's.

mcse13 Sat, Nov-15-03 08:38

This is actually an interesting question. I have lost 24 lbs and have gone from a tight 10 to a 7 juniors (which aren't tight). I think everyone varies on how their weight lose effects them. Sometimes it's my clothes being lose that really makes me notice how much weight or inches I've truly lost. I also do believe working out plays a big part in this. I now workout 5 days a week w/Tae Bo and do weight training 3 days a week. That helps lose those inches that tend to keep us in the bigger sizes. Good Luck :yay:

AngieT Sat, Nov-15-03 08:45

I've heard that also. That is, 10 pounds for a size. However, if your exercising and building muscle it is less than 10 pounds. For example, I know someone that only lost a couple of pounds but went from a size 6 to a 4. I know, wish that was me!! Also, I noticed some people that responded lost more than 10 pounds but did not go down a size. Have you ever looked clothing sizes? I've noticed that a size is usually an inch until you get to size 12 than it increases. For example, a size 4 is a 25 in waist and 35 hip. A size 6 is 26 in waist and 36 hip. A size 8 is a 27 waist and 37 hip. However, it increases at size 12. (These measurements are only educated estimates). So it probably takes women to lose more weight to drop a size at size 12 and above unless gaining muscle mass because muscle weighs more but takes up less space. Hope I made sense. Angie

rrmalns Sat, Nov-15-03 08:46

Im getting ready to start my cycling regime again. Ive been talking about it all week, and am ready to stop talking about it and do it. I fell out of the habit around a month ago. I will make that a priority this week! 3days a week to start! :wave:

golflady59 Sat, Nov-15-03 09:04

I am down only 11.5 pounds and haven't went down a size although the ones I wear I can at least breathe in now!

rrmalns Sat, Nov-15-03 09:09

Well, its very nice to meet all of you and I look forward to all of us dropping sizes together! Meanwhile, we are making a trip to BJ's (Its like a Sams)for Christmas decorations :clap: Yae!!!!
Renee

DeanaJane Sat, Nov-15-03 09:39

It is to very different for everyone.
I'm the opposite, I didn't loose any weight but dropped a size. I was exercising several days a week. That is probably what did it.

Deana

Paleoanth Sat, Nov-15-03 16:41

That is a good question. I went from a size 14/12 to a size 8/6 after losing 40 pounds.

LilaCotton Sat, Nov-15-03 21:42

I agree this depends completely on the person and how much activity you do. I think it is average, though, at around 160 pounds to lose one size per ten pounds. I know the first time I ever lost weight that's what I did. Back then the sizes were smaller than they are now, though. I weighed 180 and wore a size 18. When I hit 160 I was wearing a size 14/16, then at 150 about a size 12. I finally got into a large size 10 at 140 pounds.

Since we've all here started Atkins, everyone lost about one size by the time they took off 7 pounds. We all have gained muscle mass, though, even with very little exercise.

E-Lo Mon, Nov-17-03 20:03

Well I totally agree...everyone is different. I weigh 210, and I am back in my 12s again. When I was 230, I wore a 14. I'm 5'6", and I have always had a lot of muscle ( I used to run). So I look a lot lighter than I am.

lamom Tue, Nov-18-03 08:29

I started out a 22/24 and after 33 pounds am at 16/18. I think every body is different. I did not buy any sizes in between. I only bought clothes when I could no longer keep mine up. Hoping to get to a 10/12 before I begin maintance.

MsAtt Tue, Nov-18-03 13:36

before i started gaining 4 years ago, i wore a size 2, and was well under 100 lbs....actually, i don't want to be that small anymore...i was sick and emaciated...i steadily went up untill i hit my alltime high of 185lbs. and, in some cases like blue jeans and dress pants, had to wear a size 16...but i gained weight all over, and after losing nearly 30 lbs, i am strangely in a size 10 in everything except the jeans, which are still a size 12 as long as they are stretch ones...but that's ok with me! i'm actually very happy right now, and glad my weight is coming off slowly...that way i feel it will be easier to keep it off...my goal is to get into a size 8 with everything...i'm kinda petite and that is a perfect size for me...here's hoping! :sunny: