Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   NOVEMBER 2003 Group. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=149010)

Serrecko25 Fri, Nov-14-03 23:54

NOVEMBER 2003 Group.

Let's see if all the folks that started Atkins this month can use this as a place to get their Ya's Ya's.

I started on 11-10-03 and so far have lost 8 pounds and I feel awesome! Been drinking more water, eating the right stuff and I feel like I have so much more energy.

I hope more Atkians from November 2003 find this a useful place to talk and exchange ideas, concerns and goals that have been met.

Max

Serrecko25 Sat, Nov-15-03 12:04

Cool Whip?

Can one eat this stuff during induction? Or should it just be avoided?

Max

ImBeck Sun, Nov-16-03 00:33

Starting this thread was a great idea! I know it will help me to share the misery.. um challenges.. um...wonderful experiences we will all be going through. Seriously, I'm determined to have fun with this whole process while I succeed. I'm interested to hear what others are experiencing, especially people who started around the same time as me.

So far this has just been on huge learning experience for me. After years of trying every other diet imaginable, it's hard to get my brain to accept the things that I can now eat. I look at a hamburger and think, "no, I can't have that. Get it away." In the grocery store, I reach for yogurt and have to mentally slap myself. Okay, well maybe nothing quite that violent. :rolleyes:

Next on my list is attacking the exercise thing. I've had a gym membership for over two years now. For the last 6 months or so I have used it a grand total of one time... and that was to shower and get ready to meet friends for a night out. I walked right past all the people sweating, said hello to the attendant, used the shower and dressing table facilities, and walked out again. Somehow I think there might be a better use for my membership. It does sound cool to say "my gym". Bet it would even be cooler if I remembered what it looked like inside. So Monday I will reacquaint myself with the business that has so readily taken my money for nothing for so long.

Beck

bartow51 Wed, Nov-19-03 20:09

Just started 2 weeks ago. Have done the "gym" thing too and still pay delingently so I can say that I am a member. ( 2 visits in the last year). I am looking to lose 55 lbs, and will need a lot of motivation to get thru the holidays. I am the type of person who if you put anything out for snacks at work I can't resist going past it with out taking a little nibble. Meanwhile the nibble turned into half the plate. Just to let you know a little about myself... I am 39 yrs old, married ( very supportive) for 20 yrs next month and have a 2 1/2 yr old daughter. I pretty much get my exercise from chasing her around. I am kinda using some of the info from the Protein Power and Atkins diets.

Dawn

Serrecko25 Wed, Nov-19-03 22:32

I don't go to the gym. At least not yet. Maybe in the spring or early in the year.

I am so looking forward to the holiday meals it is not funny. Looking forward so I can overcome what other people find hard to do.... avoid the bad things.

Gonna make a turkey, some ham and have a ton of veggies and might even try those fake potatos made with califlower.

Meet the challenge face to face and never let the bastards win.

Max

Serrecko25 Thu, Nov-20-03 18:00

Okay, where the hell are all the people that joined this site in November?

I know you are out there I can hear you losing weight!!!

Max

CARMEL W Sat, Nov-22-03 14:28

i,m here.

hi serreck 25,
can i join this little club eventhough i joined in mid. oct. i have lost 16lbs in about 7 weeks, it seems to go a few lbs abd then no movement for another couple of weeks.I am not a natural meat eater by nature so it can be a little diffcult to eat the large amounts of meat required.I live in Ireland so getting low-carb food in the supermarket is almost impossible ,as this country is a little slow to imbrace the principals of low-carbing.I have ordered food from an American low-carb site and it is costing me over135$ for just a few things!.Without being too sterotypically Irish I hope ,I do enjoy a drink or three!!!and because rum and diet coke have almost no carbs I have felt ok about my 3 times a week tipple untill I read your thread and now I am starting to wonder if my drinking is slowing down my weight loss?, can you advise?.(by the way in Ireland 3 drinks a night 3times a week is not thought too much and we have so much fun).

daydream Sat, Nov-22-03 17:06

Hey Max,
I'm glad you called my attention to this thread. I started on 11-9-03 after a few months of low fat insanity in which I gained 15 pounds! I did adjust my stats just to be truthful. So far I have lost nine pounds and am on my last day of induction. Now, what next? I feel pretty good but wish I had more energy to work out. I lifted weights this morning before work, but it was like pulling teeth. I need an energy boost, maybe increased fiberous carbs? I too am looking forward to the holidays since there will be so much food I can eat and feel satisfied. Definitely need to drink more water, could this be why I have had headaches the past two days? I tend to drink a lot of coffee, tea and diet soda.

samuelboz Sat, Nov-22-03 19:25

What the heck

This is the 2nd time I have serious done a low carb diet. The first time I lost a tremendous amount of weight quickly, but most of that loss was due to the fact that I ran (2-3 miles) 5-6 times a week.

Now, I work more and have less energy to run or workout. I would have to say that if you do some amount of exercise(60 minutes a week) you will get the results you want much quicker.

I started the end of October and have probably lost 10-12 lbs(I didn't weigh myself when I started). When I started my pants were tight with well worn 36 inch jeans. Now I have about an inch and a half give in them.

I have this suggestion for those just starting out and who don't have a scale or maybe don't want to weigh themselves. Take a belt that you might not be able to buckle or use one that fits. You will notice that after about 2 weeks you will probably be able to move it up one notch(or maybe the nonfitting one will fit into the first notch). You can record your progress on your belt and soon enough you will have to buy shorter belts. Now that is a good feeling.

Lastly, everyone probably gets the same cravings during the first couple of weeks. Craving sweets, potatoes, corn, and bread. Every time these cravings hit me I drank a glass of water. Not all that tasty, but it does stifle them somewhat.

On a tangent of useless information, I heard that OJ sales were down 2-3 percent this year because of low carbers. Anyone else read or heard that?

I wish all good luck in their endeavours.

Report Post | IP: Logged

JSTPEACHI Sat, Nov-22-03 20:47

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to stop in and say Congratulations to all of you for making the decision to start this WOE. Sounds like everyone is on the right track. Water us one of the mainstays-a gallon a day is the way to go. Also Cool Whip is a no no-nothing with sugar or artificial sweetener except for splenda. Even no sugar added yogurt has too many carbs. When I get a craving I usually eat a handful of nuts-its amazing how much it helps. I too am looking forward to the holidays-its starting to feel good to say NO. Anyway Best of luck to all of you-I will be rooting for you.
Lynn

daydream Tue, Nov-25-03 16:52

Yes, water and exercise are definitely my week points, need to up both!

Serrecko25 Mon, Dec-01-03 02:07

November is over folks....

So, how are things going for the November Group?

Me, I am still eating tons of low carb food and loving things. I have stopped weighing myself each morning, seems to be a waste of time actually.

This is the slow approach, not a rush thing....

So far, so good.... what say you?

Max

mookins Fri, Dec-05-03 19:31

hey there all! what a great idea for a thread! I startted in november, and I've lost 17 pounds so far. I started in weighing 187, and am hoping to get down to 140 / 135 or so, so that my doctor will agree to give me reduction mammoplasty next summer. (fingers crossed) I'm doing okay with the atkins diet right now, but sometimes those snack cravings are just insatiable. luckily, i have an organic store (choices market) a couple blocks from home, where I can get the occasional snack, as well as GNC in lougheed mall.

I'm really gonna have to tough it out this holiday season, to reach a mini goal of 150 by Feb 12 (my birthday present to myself!!)

good luck to all others who are "under tall" -- I LOVE that quote, max! can't wait till the big turkey dinner!!