Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Looking to Replace my Scale, Any suggestions? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=148889)

janetz Fri, Nov-14-03 10:25

Looking to Replace my Scale, Any suggestions?

My scale has served me well for over 20 years, and I need a new one as this one is starting to stick- I have tried to replace it with some digital ones, but with little luck, the last effort weighed me, my husband, and both of my kids at 222 lbs- not a great sign. Tell me what works for you. I am looking to find a good scale that will record my small successes, as I have been losing really slowly, lately seems like an ounce a week. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Janet

woolina Fri, Nov-14-03 10:33

I am in the market for a new scale myself and would be interested in finding out what the preferences are out there.

MaryToU Fri, Nov-14-03 11:24

I order a doctor scale, the one with the water level slide on it, from drugstore.com Wasn't that bad priced and it works great.

Mua'Dib Fri, Nov-14-03 11:29

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=A2760IP9PFJIRL

hey_Neener Fri, Nov-14-03 12:14

PM Potatofree-she found a good one at Kmart-then again, you can search the forum-she's mentioned it several times.

woolina Fri, Nov-14-03 12:21

Thanks for the info... I went to drugstore.com and it is showing what I think is the same scale for almost 1/2 the price... I am not sure if it the same scale exactly, but it is a tanita ultimate??? and is only 29 right now, ima ordering, thanks!

nawchem Fri, Nov-14-03 12:24

I have the Tanita, I really like it because you can put it on carpet. The bodyfat part doesn't seem to accurate at all though.

cetacean Fri, Nov-14-03 12:32

ooh, i am also interested in any suggestions. i need a new one, too. :)

LilaCotton Fri, Nov-14-03 12:47

I can't really say what's a good scale to buy, but I think I can say what to avoid! :lol:

I bought a Taylor brand, with this absolutely HUGE face on it--supposed to be easier to read, you know. I paid $30 for it at WalMart, figured it would be a halfway decent scale. If I still had the box I would take it back!

It's a dial scale, not an electronic. The needle never sets straight on zero--just won't stay there. When I get up in the morning I can't hardly even see the lines between the numbers to figure out how much I weigh--it's a pain. I have to rub my eyes, get on the scale, try to read the number, rub my eyes some more, etc., etc.

I know Health-o-Meter used to be a really good brand, and I think that's the brand Potatofree's new scales are. My mom had a Health-o-Meter set she bought back in the 60s and those scales still work perfectly today!

4beans4me Fri, Nov-14-03 12:54

I have a Tanita digital scale. It measures by half pound incriments. I love the scale, but I agree with nawchem, the fat monitor part of it is not accurate.

janetz Fri, Nov-14-03 13:04

I will look into drugstore.com and Tanita- many thanks to all for your suggestions!

beachmum Fri, Nov-14-03 19:47

I bought one at Bed, Bath, Beyond. It is all glass, digital, and measures with 1/2 pound increments. Used a 20% off coupon and am pretty happy with it.

DerBlumers Sat, Nov-15-03 16:28

One word: TANITA

It really is the best ... I bought mine at one of the sports stores.....I'm happy....:D

KristyC Sat, Nov-15-03 19:18

My Healthometer drives me nuts, so I need to get a new one, too. I can weigh 3 times and get the same weight, then weigh again 3 more times and get a higher weight. ARRGGH!

NYorker Sun, Nov-16-03 08:27

I need a new one too, but my big fear is that a new scale will tell me I've weighed more all along than my old one did. Has this happened to any of you?