Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Questions Questions... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=148733)

StephenS Thu, Nov-13-03 15:41

Questions Questions...

I have 2 Questions, my first one is, is it ok to eat things with Dextrose? b/c I know alot of meats have Dextrose, & my last question is, eating natural sugars from like salad, is that good or no? should I avoid natural sugars and Dextrose? please send feedback. thanks guys!

Colleen1 Thu, Nov-13-03 16:51

Dextrose -- I think that's a fancy name for sugar. I think it's hard to avoid in processed meats like bacon. A little bit (like for me, 2 g a day) probably won't hurt.

Natural sugars in things like salad -- do you mean naturally occurring sugars in something like Romaine lettuce? If it is a low glycemic index veggie, I wouldn't worry about it. Atkins has a list of veggies -- check his book or his web site if you're unsure about a particular veggie.

StephenS Thu, Nov-13-03 23:02

yea natural sugars like in romaine lettuce.so no problem their? ok great. but you think maybe u could gimme a hand list of what meats I could buy for snacking on etc. and brands.etc.? thanks alot!

LilaCotton Fri, Nov-14-03 01:00

Stephen, all processed meats are rather tricky, and Dr. Atkins advised avoiding them because of the nitrates. However, there are just times when a little processed meat comes in real handy.

Check the different brands when you're shopping and try to find brands with 0 carbs and no sugar(s) listed in the ingredients. I don't know what brands your stores carry, but one of ours carries Foster Farms. Some of their cold cuts and their Turkey Franks have no sugar. We don't eat the franks often, but when we do I boil them first so that some of the salt and nitrates are removed. These particular franks are also really high in fat. :D

Both John Morrell and Gwaltney have bacons with no sugars. I buy Gwaltney at WalMart and John Morrell seems to be a pretty wide-spread brand. Just make sure to check the labels because some have sugars, some don't.

Even though we're actually buying a lot less groceries than before, our grocery trips still take quite a while as we're doing our label reading and sorting which brands are better picks than others. This is just something that goes with the territory. :)

StephenS Fri, Nov-14-03 15:59

thanks! any got any cool snack recipts im a kid and I really dont know many,like thous rollup with cream cheese sound awesome with like celery,how do u make thous? hehe and also! that one guy said that Dextrose is PROBABLY another name for hidden sugars,is that true? I really need to know this.

Debi Warne Fri, Nov-14-03 16:06

Hi Stephen --

you can go to atkinscenter.com and look at all the foods acceptable.

The more natural the food is (the less processed) the less fillers and sugars it will have in it. When you read labels look at the carb count, the fiber count and the sugar count.

Brocolli has a lot of fiber, so you take the carb count and subtract the fiber count and you get the effective carb count.

You need the vegetables for fiber so you won't get constipated, dark green leaf lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower -- good stuff for you.

Good to see you here and looking forward to your progress.

Debi

StephenS Fri, Nov-14-03 16:20

thanks! Deb! and everyone else!

Ghost Fri, Nov-14-03 16:29

Hi StephenS

Anything with an igredient "ose" should be avoided. Except for sucralose which is Splenda.

Hope that helps.