Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   I'm missing fruit.... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=148697)

Harleygal Thu, Nov-13-03 12:23

I'm missing fruit....

I'm in week 6 of this WOE, am down 14 pounds - great!! I've not had any cravings at all until last night/today. I am really missing fruit! I have really backed off the Atkins breakfast bars, which I guess gave me a fruit/sweet fix. But they were becoming problematic (I couldn't eat just one :-( ) and I'm watching the amount of cheese I eat also. These two adjustments have provided me a 2# loss since Monday of this week which is awesome! So I am just wondering if any of you have battled the "I want a mango" problem and how you overcame it. I love this WOE but hate to think that fruit is no longer in my future! I guess eventually I can have a piece of fruit now and then within reason.

Thanks - I lurk on this board every day - all of you give great suggestions and recipes.

vbrowne Thu, Nov-13-03 12:48

Harleygal - I eat strawberries, blueberries, raspberries all the time, with whipping cream sweetened with splenda - I make sure that I'm in my carb limit (1/2 cup) - I do have the occassional mango as well, just include all of this in your carb counts for the day -- I have to have fruit.

Vikki

woolina Thu, Nov-13-03 13:42

fruit is allowed as long as you are not on iduction. You can start adding in the lower GI fruits on OWL and even more in premaintenance and then maintenance.

Rogue Thu, Nov-13-03 13:50

i would suggest you move off induction adn into OWL. That way you can add some fruit into your diet.

katgurl Thu, Nov-13-03 14:26

v8 splash makes a DIET juice...3 carbs per 8 oz serving. when i am craving fruit and have no berries or cantaloupe, i take a big chug of this stuff! YUM!

LadyBelle Thu, Nov-13-03 16:24

The problem with V8 splash or any juice is that juice is extreamly high GI.

I would start with berries. Then as you continue through the weight loss phases you can also add back in small portions of apples, opranges, peaches and so on. When you get close to goal pick up Atkins for life. He has a nice little tabl;e of fruits you can eat often, occasionaly and rarely.

GneGne Thu, Nov-13-03 16:37

Divinci syrups

I am a serious mango lover! You could try frozen mangos cubed (but only a couple of cubes, as they are not super low carb). If you have no self control with moderation (like me) try buying a few fruit flavored syrups (SF of course) I make flavored Soy Slender milk all the time- or those yummy, rich Italian Sodas- just mix some seltzer water , syrup, adn top with a bit of cream (Soy slender works for this too if you avoid dairy)
These syrups also make a great add in to cream cheese or Peanut butter - I have made this kind of mixture & enjoyed it on an LC tortilla or a Cheeters cracker.
Hope this helps you get some ideas!

Kathy54 Thu, Nov-13-03 17:46

Quote:
I love this WOE but hate to think that fruit is no longer in my future!

Well once you follow through the stages you can eat more and more fruit.
As others have said starting with berries, then SLOWLY Moving on to others like melons, peach, plums, then, apple, oranges, pears.

I have been averaging 3 fruit aday for a number of months now and I'm fine with it. However, I consider 1/2 apple or pear for instance a serving :agree:

I just 10 mins ago had my first taste of mango since jan, just chewed off the bits left around the pit, my son got everything else, but sadly, they are very high in natural sugar and should be treated as a sugar :cry: So that will have to do me for a while :agree:

Cheers kathy

OOPs, also meant to say, if you can trust yourself to have 2-3 strawberries then stop at that, then go ahead :idea:

Harleygal Thu, Nov-13-03 17:55

Thanks to all of you for the great suggestions. I think I'll start with some strawberries this weekend. Whoo hooo!!!

Kaillean Thu, Nov-13-03 18:29

I added strawberries and raspberries in week 3 as a once a week dessert with Devon cream. (Delish). Shortly after, I started eating protein shakes for breakfast and added 4 or 5 strawberries to that. So basically I've been eating fruit daily for the six months or so.

On occasion, now that I'm in OWL, I have an apple or some melon.

No need to feel deprived! Just watch your quantities.

K.