Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Help! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=148435)

kourgore Wed, Nov-12-03 10:14

Help!

Hello there! I am somewhat new to the Atkin's diet, I am only on my 8th day. I have, however, tried this before but never was able to make it through the induction period. I love my wine in the evenings and sadly that was always my biggest hurdle. I have committed myself to two weeks of no drinking and I have been very strict, I thought, through these past 8 days. I am very discouraged today and almost ready to give up already, because not only have I not lost any I have gained 3 lbs. I am not sure what I could have done, but I must add that during this time period it was before and during my menstral cycle. Does that make a difference???? I also wonder if salt can play a role in retaining fluid. I have been seasoning my meats with alot of it. I also have been drinking an unbelievable amount of water, and I had someone tell me that I could possibly drink too much. I am not sure if that is true either. I am going to be so sad if this doesn't work for me, because I have been so excited about it. I weighed 147 when I started and now I am at 150, and 130 is my goal weight. Does anyone have any encouraging words or advice as to what the problem could be? Kourt

AFwife Wed, Nov-12-03 10:23

Hello,

NO MORE SALT! It retains water. Skip it and trust me you won't miss it. Use garlic powder instead for like scrambled eggs. No carbs in it or calories. And taste good. And yeah, menstraul cycle doesn't help either. Try weighing yourself after your cycle or before, it makes a difference. Don't weigh yourself everyday either. Weight fluctuates especially during different times of the day. So pick a day in the week like Monday's and a time perhaps as soon as you wake before eating breakfast.
I weighed myself yesterday at 278 and this morning was down to 275. So sometimes it won't show then all of a sudden BAM, there it is. Be patient, you can do it. Remember it's not about losing weight fast it's about changing the way you eat, weight loss is a Bonus.
You can't ever drink too much water. All bodies are over 70% water. We can live for weeks without food but only a few days without water. Only 1 in 10 adults actually drink the recommended amount of 8 glasses of water a day.
So don't worry and drink up.
As far as your wine drinking goes, just tell yourself, I'll have it later and drink water instead. By the time later rolls around, you'll be too full with water to want it or have space for it.

Lily

Iowagirl Wed, Nov-12-03 10:35

Would be a good idea to measure yourself as well. You could be losing inches when you aren't losing pounds.

Good luck and welcome!