Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   some confusion - need advice (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=146992)

poundsoff Wed, Nov-05-03 08:59

some confusion - need advice

I'm at the beginning on week 4 and have increased my carbs to 30g per day! I've added more veg and this week, nuts (mainly almods but i'm within the carb count) occasionally peanut butter as it's only got peanuts, palm oil and salt in ingredients and only 1g carb per 10g
Can i add some 85% dark lindt chocolate yet and can i add some (ow carbish) tomato juice yet, please let me know
Although I've moved on i'm still unsure what i can add when, I am following the carb ladder and intend to add berries next week but if I decide to stay at 30g carb next week can i still add berries
and one more thing what about youghurt and milk
when can that be added - premaintenance?
Your opinions will be appreicated!
thankyouoooooooooo
PO

woolina Wed, Nov-05-03 09:13

I would suggest sticking with the ladder. Everyone is different and that is why OWL is so important, to figure out what works for you. I think if you are still losing consistently at 30 grams and want to add berries, I would try adding them in next week, stay at 30 then if you don't stop losing you know that berries dont stall you and nuts dont stall you and 30 g. carbs dont stall you, then when you go to 35 if you stall out with the same things you had at 30, it is the upping of the carbs that slow you down, not a new food you added. Then continue on to the next level.
did that make any sense, looked confusing when I read it back...:(

Alina Wed, Nov-05-03 11:24

Hi!

first of all - congratulations on your progress!
I think you are doing the right thing moving into OWL, it is very important to do all stages and determine your own level of tollerance.
The trick I do is to add things I really like but limit them and don't eat them all in one day :) So if I have a SF peanut butter treat and then avocado I don't eat nuts or berries that day etc.... as long as you don't go overboard with those higher carb foods you will be just fine. The weight loss will probably slow down but it's normal and healthy. I rather lose slowly but have more food choices.
All the best!

Alina

Kaillean Wed, Nov-05-03 13:44

I added nuts, yogurt (full fat, plain, no additives) and berries the third week and continued to lose very well. However, I continued to remain under 25 net carbs most days.

Everyone is different. As Alina says - try one at a time, not all at once to see how you do.

In the summer, after being on Atkins five months, I added in the occasional square or two of Lindt (75% cocoa) with no ill effects. I'd rather have a rare treat like this than the SF stuff.

K.

poundsoff Fri, Nov-07-03 03:50

Thanks a lot, that did make a lot of sense to me!
PO